Glass cabinets- frosted? any other options for concealment?

mays802July 16, 2014

Hello and thank you for your help - one of our main cabinets will be glass in our remodel. It is a cabinet that needs to be functional, holding our dishes, etc. not just decorative pieces. Has anyone used a decorative glass that conceals possible messes inside the cabinet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poohpup

There are tons of glass options out there. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet glass options

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 5:08AM
jakuvall

I use these folks, the online gallery show 30 samples each with the same wine bottle and glass behind so you can judge how obscure the glass is.
Total of over a 140 standard options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Architectural Glass Effects

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:26PM
Skie_M

You could also think of applying a mirror to the inside of the glass ... or using a mirrored window car application ... or various of the tinted shades to hide things behind the glass.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:29PM
plllog

You can also backpaint glass, or use starch to glue on paper or fabric (easy to remove for redecorating--you could change with the seasons).

If you don't mind a little show through but don't want to see the actual shapes, any heavy texture will work. I got glass called "masterpoint" or "pointalist" or "pointal"m which is just little dot bumps all over it. It has the feeling of depth of clear glass but is close to opaque unless something is right up next to it.

Look at the online galleries where they show the same still life, half covered by the different glass types. Spectrum and Bendheim are two of the oldest, but there are many nowadays. Most of the selections are similar, but each company has a few one offs.

Once you have a few options you like, you can either look for them at a local glass shop, or order samples. Do check the dimensions for delivery, if you want to order online. There's a limit to the length. If you go local, make sure to print out the ones you like. The names are like granite, and differ from brand to brand.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 7:49PM
greenhaven

jakuvall, that link was very, very cool! I used to think nothing was cooler than seeded glass. I might have to take that back.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:22PM
lisa_a

Wow, great suggestions and links! I'm glad I checked this thread since I need to make a decision about glass inserts, too. Thanks for starting the topic, mays802.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:00PM
mays802

Thanks everyone. I must have forgotten to "check here" for email responses and I am just seeing your helpful links now.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
Kitchen sink: Help me find the right one!
This should not be as hard as signing in and finding...
Alma Williams
Why is a backsplash so hard to choose?
Got the counters in place today...love my Taj Mahal...
ssg7741
Sponsored Products
Homelegance Hanna 2 Piece Kids' Desk Set in Black
Beyond Stores
Mirrored 1-drawer Accent Cabinet
Overstock.com
Charlton 42" Bathroom Vanity with Drawers - Espresso w/ Clear or Frosted Glass C
Modern Bathroom
Classic Home Furniture - Wood Cabinet - 59022914
Great Furniture Deal
Winners Only Zahara 47 in. Corner Media Base - Medium Oak - TZ147WB
$734.00 | Hayneedle
Radionic Hi Tech Inc. 60 in. Low Profile Linkable White Under Cabinet Fluorescen
$79.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™