A Christmas garland question

osuladybugNovember 22, 2008

I haven't been logged in recently so I hope I am not asking a question that has already been asked. But can anyone give me ideas on how to hang garland on an oak staircase and oak balcony. We just put in a new loft and I have never done this before. I ordered what I hope is soft greenery from Ballards ( angel pine) and I really don't want to scratch up the oak!! Help!! I am decorator challenged!

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judiegal6

This is mine from last year on oak. I used those plastic cable ties. My garland is 3- 40ft pre-lit strands.

I purchased them at Costco last year. I wouldn't call them soft but they didn't leave any scratches.

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 6:01PM
annie1971

Use ribbon and just tie a bow every few feet

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 6:30PM
joanie_b

I don't have a pic, sorry, but the way I secure mine is by twisting 2 branches of the garland together under the bannister every other stair or so.
It doesn't show and it's easy to put up and take down.
I've never had a problem with my garlands scratching anything and I use fairly inexpensive ones (I dress them up with ribbon and lights and they look beautiful).

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 6:55PM
lacombe

I used those really soft pipe cleaners that you can get at any craft store, I got mine at Michael's in a green color, just twist some together, what ever length that you need.

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 8:43PM
bonniee818

Hi.......I have those little clips that slide over the banister. Ordered them from some catalog last winter but I think Kirkland's has them also around Christmas time. Here is a pic if you wanna peek! Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's 2007 Christmas

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 11:03PM
houstonmom_gw

I switched several years ago from pipe cleaners to the plastic cable ties. IMHO the cable ties are easier to work with than the pipe cleaners. They really don't show, either. Especially if you "fluff" your garland! I have put garland on our oak Bannister for 17 years, and the garland has not harmed the wood (kids, on the other hand...)

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 9:14AM
Phobie Privett

I just ordered some clear plastic hangers from Current Catalog. So far, they seem like they are going to work great. They were about $8.00 for 10. They also have rubber on the inside so as not to scratch the woodwork.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 11:37AM
creekylis

Oak is a really hard wood, so you shouldn't have to worry about damaging it with any garland.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
Television 'stands' , etc
I am tripping myself up trying to decide what to do...
wigardenerwannabe
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
MBR has been painted Wheeling Neutral!
Here's an update on our MBR paint color. Earlier this...
bac717
WWYD- Question regarding fireplace
We would like to update the look of our fireplace and...
Snbtwins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™