how should I "fix" these??

joneyjmwNovember 9, 2012

I have two endtables that have put up with long enough. They were given to me almost 7 years ago, and I have always thought they were hideous. So I finally have the means and the time to refinish them, but I'm not sure what I should do with them. Our house is going to have light blue wall, white trim, dark wood floor, and were getting a dark colored leather sofa. Should I restain them also the be dark? Should I paint them a lighter color to contrast all the other dark? They get A LOT of use so I worry about the paint holding up. The room will also be the dinning and kitchen, the kitchen will have white cabinets, and the dinning table is a dark wood. I really dislike mixed wood tones, so I also plan on refinishing our tv cabinet mostlikly the same way. What do you suggest, Dark stain, or light paint?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmp3

Do you have a style you prefer? They'd look cute painted white and lightly distressed, if you used oil paint they'd be pretty indestructible.

Here is a link that might be useful: white distressed table.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:32PM
Sujafr

Since you said you have always thought they were hideous, have you considered the idea of just putting them on craigslist and also looking there for replacements you might like better? I had furniture in our guest bedroom that I was tired of, so sold it on CL and got replacements--headboard like new on CL for only $25, then ordered one nightstand and repurposed a lowboy previously used elsewhere in our home. I love the way this looks so much more than my initial thought of just painting the existing stuff I had, and it actually cost me nothing.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:53PM
Olychick

Here are some examples of things you could do. If a painted table fits in your decor, I think those would be great!

I love this one, with darker legs and the design around the edge that you could create with a stencil:

Your table is suited to something really fun!
    Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 4:43PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

If you don't like the lines, get rid of them. You could get new end tables off of CL for a good portion of what you would spend on paint.
They are not worth refinishing.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 5:53PM
joneyjmw

I'm not much of a craigslist fan, but I like the pic you posted olychick, they jump started my imagination. Thanks

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:16PM
LuAnn_in_PA

Like others mentioned... you don't like them. Don't keep them.

Why invest time and money on things you never liked?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Any idea what this style house is called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
valpogal47
Television 'stands' , etc
I am tripping myself up trying to decide what to do...
wigardenerwannabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™