Design question: Island Pendant Lights - Black or Brushed Nickel?

Sarah_Smith841July 15, 2013

In our kitchen remodel, we have white cabinets with GO granite and brushed satin nickel hardware. We have stainless steel appliances. We chose some pendant lights for the island and now need to select the color for those lights... brushed nickel or black?

The kitchen is open concept, and I was told that black would be OK because there are other black elements in the kitchen (like parts of the oven, microwave, range). And, since the kitchen opens up to the family room, there is black there (TV, etc.)

However, I see pictures of kitchens with white cabinets online, and it seems that the island pendants match the hardware. So, I'm undecided...

Should the kitchen fixtures match the hardware or not? Does it matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex9179

No, the fixtures don't have to match the hardware. It really comes down to how it will look as a whole and your personal preference.

Are you able to post some pictures?

Here is one and it looks like the hardware is a distressed nickel, or something similar.

Traditional Kitchen by Barrie Interior Designers & Decorators Staples Design Group

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 2:21PM
ginny20

I chose the pendant color after the cabs, counters and sink were in. I bought pendants in a couple of different finishes at the local big box, and carefully held them up to see which I liked. Then I carefully repacked and returned them. It was a lot easier to choose the color when I could see it in the space. I did this with the hardware, too, and I was surprised that the finish I expected to use didn't work. So keep an open mind - there might even be other options in the "gray or black metal" family that could be perfect.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 3:54PM
amharris

I personally think it looks good when there is some variety versus everything matching. IMO black is always a good accent. I agree with Ginny-- get a couple of different ones and see what you like. You can also do what some posters here have done-take a picture of your space and then either use photoshop or PowerPoint to paste in pictures of pendant options. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Ceramic Beadboard Backpslash - Done
This past week we had our ceramic beadboard backsplash...
SusieQusie60
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Thank you GW! I have RUNNELS!
My soapstone arrived today, and is now sitting on my...
oldhousegal
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™