Rug suggestions for several areas

homey_birdNovember 15, 2012

Hi,

We recently got wood flooring installed throughout our house. It's in the hallways that lead to the bathroom, and we are interested in getting recommendations for a nice looking bath rug that I can lay *in the hallway* (bathroom already has a rug).

The reason is, that we've noticed a tendency among kids to splash water from the bath sink to the floor, and then step out with wet feet into the hallway. So far it did not affect us since hallway had carpet, but now I am especially concerned about the beautiful wood that we have.

Has anyone solved this problem in a creative way? Do you have recommendations for absorbent mats or rugs that can serve as transition rug from bath to hallway?

Any other ideas? Pictures? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yayagal

If the floors have a substantial finish then the water shouldn't bother them at all. Of course a hall way runner would help. How about a six or eight foot runner right in the bathroom and a little sign "wipe your feet" at the door so they can change their patterns. Other than that, I don't think the floors will get ruined.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 6:06PM
homey_bird

Thank you for the suggestion. The little sign idea is great! The floors do have substantial finish (they are pre-finished), but just trying to make sure they do not get abused.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:55PM
prairiegirlz5

I have had good luck with so-called "indoor/outdoor" rugs in this situation. My rug faded horribly when I left it outside, but it does resist water. Spills "bead up" slightly if you wipe them up quickly.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 10:08PM
nosoccermom

Not to highjack this thread, but I would also try to find out how to nix the problem at the source, i.e. teach the children how to wash their hands without splashing so much water on the floor that they get wet feet despite a bathrooom rug. That's a good skill in itself. Or is the faucet the problem, are they too short to reach the sink properly (stool?), or is the towel too far away?

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Zinc top dining table- is it durable with kids??
We're looking for a new dining table for our formal...
myfirsthouse
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
Improvement With A Few $'s
My plain pony wall bugged me. I finally tackled it...
mustangs81
SW Kilm Beige
If you have used this color, would you please tell...
boystown
Replace fan/light combo with light?
I have a Broan fan/light combo in my laundry room....
misformink
Sponsored Products
Dazzle Brown Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$712.20 | Bellacor
Dryden Snowdrift Black Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$298.40 | Bellacor
Surya BDW4023 Boardwalk Area Rug - BDW4023-23
$77.40 | Hayneedle
Hand-tufted Camelot Orange Wool Rug (8' Star)
Overstock.com
Avignon Indoor Area Rug - 5'9" x 8'9"
Grandin Road
Nourison Hand-Tufted Contours Transitional Slate Rug (8' x 10'6")
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™