Any door styles that are particularly unobtrusive?We have an oops

Kitten1313July 15, 2013

We had had two different floor plans drawn up by our architect. One plan had a door from the garage into the kitchen, the other one didnt. We ultimately decided to get rid of the door, because it would be on the same wall as another door (from kitchen to mud room).

Well, looks like the contractors went with the drawing that had the door, and today cut a big old doorway out of that wall. :/

Of course they can fix it, but it's got me thinking that if there is a way to make it very unnoticeable, it *would* be convenient to have there. A pocket door maybe? A door hidden behind a bookcase?

Please share any ideas if you have.

(the door in question is on the wall to the left of the range [perpendicular])

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Circus Peanut

I'm not sure it's possible to do anything but a big ole well-sealed door between the garage and living space, due to rather strict code restrictions (don't want carbon monoxide getting into the house). So a pocket door is likely out.

I'm an idiot with plans and can't quite see where the oops door is? Where's the garage, on the other side of the MECH room?

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:30PM
Gooster

Is it the door heading to the mudroom? Is there also a 6" step up? I assumed that the garage is to the bottom of the Plan, with a door leading into the mudroom, and then a right turn into the kitchen.

Besides pocket doors, in the right kitchen I am partial to barn doors (or overhead track doors). They can even be mounted to decorative art, mirror or glass -- either as a focal point or almost unobstrusive.

Eclectic Kitchen by Chicago Kitchen & Bath Designers Rebekah Zaveloff : KitchenLab

Modern Hall

Contemporary Kitchen by Boston Interior Designers & Decorators

Modern Kitchen by Calgary Architects & Designers rectangle design inc su-casa-designs'>Su Casa Designs

Eclectic Kitchen by North Hollywood Interior Designers & Decorators thea home inc

Modern Kitchen by Brisbane Kitchen & Bath Designers Lee Hardcastle

This post was edited by gooster on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 23:02

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:00PM
williamsem

Yes! A lateral opening door! Link below, you should watch the video, it's the perfect hidden door. You do need to have an open space adjacent to the door, but it doesn't swing out into the room as far. They're on my list for the secret rooms/passages I want in the house we will eventually build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lateral door

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:30PM
chispa

Will it be an accident waiting to happen, as others in the house come barreling through that door just as you are getting something out of the oven or moving a large pasta pot from stove to sink?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 2:14AM
Annie Deighnaugh

If its the doorway to the mudroom, do you need a door at all? Or will a cased opening do? It's not, obtrusive with the rest of the space....

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 3:25AM
michoumonster

if the door goes to a garage, you might want to doubel check with your architect about this. i think you have to make sure it is well-sealed. i think in our house plan, a fire-rated door was required from garage entering our house. i think it also required weather stripping as well since it is possible that you get some outside exposure since garages tend not to be insulated and air-tight.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 3:46AM
rococogurl

Here are a few solutions that might be adapted. For a kitchen, there could be a "bulletin board" door. But it could be made to look like a panel vs framed if that works in the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doors in Disguise

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:59AM
Kitten1313

thanks for the great ideas. The door is going to the mudroom, not the garage (see Gooster's description for the layout).

The other door, at the other end of the mud room, will be a cases opening. I don't think I want two cased openings. I love the chalkboard idea - we were going to use that wall for that kind of thing anyway. Thank you!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:59AM
lyfia

Realize if you want a pocket door that you need to change the framing in that area.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 12:10PM
michoumonster

oh if it is going to mudroom, how about a bookcase door? the extra storage will be great for the kitchen. my sister did that to her under-the-stairs door and even included a small hidden sliding compartment at the bottom for her cat to go under the stairs (she keeps a cat bed in there). it looked really nice and was so neat! though it may be a little unwieldy to open on a regular basis. i would only do it if you don't need to go in there all the time.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Would you please review kitchen floorplan? 1880s house
Hello, I am new to posting, though I have read the...
islandgarden
Do I need drywall behind cabinets?
I am building a counter-height knee wall between my...
DIY2Much2Do
Granite Countertop seam question
I have a new construction house on contract. The granite...
sega_102
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
Sponsored Products
Walker Leather Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Pink & Green Flower Gloveables
$11.99 | zulily
Bruck | Chroma Perfecto LED Pendant Light
$360.00 | YLighting
Cabana Stripe Beach Towel
Grandin Road
33" Scovell 60/40 Offset Double-Bowl Cast Iron Drop-in Kitchen Sink
Signature Hardware