No place for the garbage

SnailLoverJuly 9, 2013

I just bought a house that's about 25 years old. There doesn't seem to be any logical place in the kitchen for the garbage can. For obvious reasons, I don't want to put it in a cupboard next to the pantry or dishes. Right now I have it sitting against the wall by the kitchen table. It's the first thing you see when you walk in, so obviously not very appealing there either. Any ideas how to conceal it without doing a major kitchen remodel?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joaniepoanie

Under kitchen sink?

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:11PM
herbflavor

yes-under the sink: Go to "stacks and stacks" or "container store" online and look at under the sink trash slide outs or they type that rotate out when the cabinet door opens....you may have to organize all the "supplies" you keep under the sink more efficiently with a roll out.....but if that can occur you may be able to install a trash slideout or similar.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:25PM
SnailLover

I thought about that, but there's not a lot of height with the disposal and pipes. I suppose I could keep a short basket under there and use the tall one somewhere else. It's one of those tall stainless steel ones with the step-on lids. It was a gift and not cheap, so I'm trying my best to find a place for it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:39PM
SnailLover

herbflavor, I will check out those websites. Looks like they have some neat gadgets and I might get some ideas. Thank you both.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:45PM
ardcp

i got a simple human trash pullout from amazon and its fantastic! i hated having a trash can in the kitchen and the old trash pullout i had years ago was terrible. this one works wonderfully and fits nicely under the sink which is a 33" sink cabinet so not tons of space.if you look for dimensions and measure your space you should be able to find somethong to fit.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 9:53AM
debrak2008

What about a nice looking stand alone? I have a SS simple human stand alone can. I sits on the side of an island that is not easily seen but to me the can looks good anyway.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:03AM
scrappy25

We have a door mounted plastic covered wire holder that fits regular grocery bags , installed on the sink cabinet door. I had to bend the upper rim a bit to make it go above the gd. The plastic bag top hits the disposal when the door is closed , but does not affect function. The trash is small enough that I change it every day or whenever I throw raw meat/other smelly stuff in it. I took off the top cover because it is really a pain to have to lift every time I used the trash.

Here is a link that might be useful: rack sack holder

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:28AM
lascatx

When we redid our kitchen, I didn't have space left for a pullout trash next to the main sink (I did put on on the other side of the island), so we kept it under the sink. You can have the pipes and connections worked so they take up minimal space, but plumbers don't usually do that because it's easier and faster to have them forward and across. You could hire a plumber to come and replumb the drain lines or possibly even DIY if the pipes are PVC.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™