Countertop for Drainboard Sink

cehenrichsJuly 29, 2013

We are remodeling our kitchen and have bought a vintage enameled cast iron sink with double drainboards and a single sink. It is not the wall mounted type but sits on top of the countertop. Has anyone installed a sink like this? How much of the drainboards should have countertop under it? There are some things poking down beneath the drainboards so clearly the counters cannot go right up to the sink bowl. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We plan to have a butcher block countertop.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deedles

Can you post an image of it? Also of what is poking down from the underneath? I have an old sink like that (no drainboards, though) but it's a wall mount.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:54PM
mariposa34

We just had our installed. It acts like a drop in sink as far as the countertop is concerned. The base cabinet was built specifically larger to fit its dimensions.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 10:16PM
mtnfever

This is not cehenrich's sink but it may be similar as it too has "things poking down beneath the drainboards". I believe the "things" are designed to rest on matching supports.

antiquehome.org has many pictures of these sinks in print ads showing the front of the sink matching the flow of the front of the countertop and/or installed on top on the metal sink base cabinets where it *is* the countertop.

retrorenovation.com also has *lots* of good info on these types of sinks.

(not to derail the OP but I had hoped to install my sink this past winter. Unfortunately, the rain falling in several rooms made a new roof the priority.) The plan on installation is to add supports from below and the side in the cabinets to match the "things" on the sink. I've wanted to find one of those metal sink bases to see what support was provided but haven't yet found one to look in (either physically or virtually).

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: retrorenovation.com on these sinks

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Countertops for butlers pantry
We have a wall in pantry that will need countertops...
aktillery9
It starts with the sink... Kohler Stages 33 or 45?
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just starting a kitchen...
ediblekitchen
What do you think of leathered surfaces? and why?
So I did my first foray into a granite yard today....
lawjedi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™