How to unify mish-mash cabinets?

carolbarrelJuly 5, 2013

Bought a place with asstd kitchen cabinets. I don't know what to do, gel stain in all one color or maybe just on the solid surface cabinets. One set of cabinets has scrolled glass fronts, and I hate painting around glass so I'd rather leave that one "as is". The wallpaper will go, and I will also update kitchen counters, faucet, maybe change out the sink, and definitely will improve lighting. I'm going for a "beachy" color palette & ambience. Suggestions, please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joaniepoanie

Painting or staining them one color will unify them. If you want a beachy look, I would paint them white or another beachy color.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:06PM
remodelfla

Those look solid, sturdy, and with clean lines. I think it's a perfect setup to achieve your goal. I would definitely paint...and take your time. Look at the back of the glass uppers. It's very possible that they clip in and can be removed. This could be a great project!

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:06PM
snookums2

If you want something beachy looking, I would paint them. I'd also change out the decorative glass for plain, or maybe do open shelving there. The cabinets are high, so you could do some open shelving beneath them.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:21PM
localeater

Take your time. You want to act, not react. First things first, remove the wall paper so you can think.
I would probably remove the texture from the ceiling next. That is a personal choice. I just have sons, that bounce balls, and I have had ceiling texture in my dinner more than once at our ski condo- no thanks!

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:25PM
CEFreeman

Take out the dated accessories and finishes you can, first.
I also suggest including the ceiling in that demo. I strongly suggest saving your counter top purchase for last, though. As much as you might want to tear things out.

I would also paint them. If you want beachy, gel stain is not your answer. It's just more dark.

You might want to look into liquid sand paper to avoid hours of sanding, or chalk paint (which requires no priming) and a poly acrilic (doesn't yellow) sealer.

You've got a nice space there, and some very nice cabinets. If you wanted to, that space above the glass cabinets could be filled with 12" tall cabinets and you'd have floor to ceiling. But that's another look.

I agree. Act, not react.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:50PM
ghostlyvision

If you can't remove the glass, use painter's tape inside the trim, it won't hurt the glass and will prevent paint or stain from getting on them.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:19PM
carolbarrel

Thank you so much everyone! Now I feel better about the kitchen's possibilities. And I've learned a new motto: ACT, DON'T REACT! :-) Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Ikea cover panel installation question (Akurum line)
Hi all! I was ready to post this to ikeafans.com and...
criv227
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™