How tough is silgranit?

breezygirlJuly 25, 2014

Here's how tough it is. I accidently dropped my Ken Onion Shun in the cleanup sink last week. My hands were slippery when I was washing it, and I was in a hurry. I thought it landed near the tip of the knife before it fell, but I wasn't sure. The sink looked fine.

The next day DH asked me in a horrified voice what I did to my new knife. Huh? The tip was broken off. I went back and looked over my silgranit again very closely. No dents, no scratches, no marks. It looks perfect. The knife, however, looks like this.

I love my silgranits more than I can say. So tough and easy to care for.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldbat2be

Just looked up the knife on Amazon. $160... Hmmm, at what point should the sink bend/break to save the knife...?

P.S. Please tell me what makes a knife worth spending this much?
Thanks!!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:03PM
julie1973

Bummer about the knife but great that your sink was unscathed! That makes me so happy as I just received my silgranit samples and am in love with the truffle! :)

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:18PM
lisa_a

Holy cow! If I had any remaining doubts about choosing a Silgranite sink for my remodel, you just erased them!

Love your towel. I have needlepoint towels, too, all made by my grandma or my great aunt.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:19PM
piper101

I wouldn't be so quick to praise Silgranit.

I've had my Silgranit sink in white, for the last 8 years and I regretted getting it almost from the beginning. Here is why.
1/ It is VERY tough to keep clean. The only two things that even help are Magic Eraser for the light stuff and secondly straight bleach. So what I'm saying is that normal Ajax/Comet and Bar Keeper's friend just will not clean it all the way, no matter what type of sponge/scouring pad you use.
2/ I've got small pitted areas near the drain just outside the metal ring where the disposer/drain hole is. They only look marginally better when I straight bleach the sink.

Sorry to disagree with you but given my experience I wish I had gone with a different sink like a porcelain over wrought iron Kohler like I had in another kitchen.

If I looked into how to (if it's possible at all) of taking mine out - it's under mounted under granite - and it could be done without harming my granite - I'D DO IT TODAY AND SWITCH THIS SINK OUT - The only thing I do like about it is how deep the big side and the smaller side of the sink is.
Hey, it's just my opinion that is based on 8 years of experience with it. Glad you are having a better experience with it than I am.
Maybe if you had a black Silgranit sink you couldn't see the problems I've had, but mine sink is white........

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:37PM
shannonplus2

Piper101 - Blanco came out with "Silgranit II" in 2009, a large improvement over the Silgranit you have from 8 years ago.

I am sorry you are unhappy with your sink. But your sink is not a fair comparison, or accurate yardstick, to the Blanco Silgranit II sinks today. You can read all the threads on the Kitchens Forum over the last few years on which people with white or light-colored Silgranit sinks have written their praise for their sinks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Description of the Introduction of Blanco Silgranit II

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:52PM
brightm

Breezy - I broke a Shun knife I had once too. Sur La Table took it back, no questions asked a LONG time after buying it. Mine wasn't breaking the tip off, but it had little chunks out.

Still happy the Silgranit prevailed. Looking forward to mine!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 11:24PM
Trebruchet

piper101:

I have yet to meet an undermounted sink I could not replace without harming the stone.

After removing any mechanical fasteners, drive a scraper between the stone and sink and work your way around.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:07AM
a2gemini

Breezy
Wow!
Hopefully you can replace that gorgeous knife!
A2gemini

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:47AM
suzanne_sl

Poor knife. From experience I can say that it can probably be re-tipped. I once had a teenage son who was miffed at having to wash the dishes and kinda-sorta on purpose stabbed a Henkle 8"er into the wooden cutting board and carelessly wrenched it out - minus the tip. Interestingly enough, said son grew up to be a cooking connoissseur and was horrified all those years later when he realized what he'd done. He bought me a new knife when he was about 30. I still like the original, re-tipped, better. Teenagers - they grow up.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Sponsored Products
Wayland 3-Initial Monogrammed Door Mat - 36" x 72"
$135.00 | FRONTGATE
Irwin Flatweave Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - BARN
$889.00 | Horchow
Rotaliana | Luxy F1 Floor Lamp
$729.00 | YLighting
Purple Bandido Myvaz Expandable Vase
$7.49 | zulily
Joy Carpets Start Your Engines Kids Area Rug - Assorted Colors - 1454-B-02
$119.98 | Hayneedle