Don't get Thermador's mirrored induction cooktop

milehihouseJuly 15, 2013

The 36" mirrored induction cooktop was on backorder when our other appliances were installed in March. It finally arrived and was installed in May. It randomly beeps and flashes an EE code on all the burners. This happens 4-8 or more times each day, often requiring that we flip the breaker to reset it. I've had six (6!!!!) appointments so far for Thermador to repair it. They've replaced a board, they've rerouted wires, they've cancelled appointments at the last minute because parts arrived broken, they've cancelled appointments at the last minute because parts are backordered, and now they want to try to replace yet another part before they'll consider replacing the cooktop. And that part is backordered too. So frustrating. Don't get this cooktop. WORST. COOKTOP. EVER. I'm posting in appliances too, but really need to vent, I guess.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MFatt16

Wow, sorry to hear that, that must be really frustrating. That was the best looking induction we had tested. We really liked the black zoneless induction from Thermador too. I haven't made the final decision but due to budget but it stings a little to hear someone have trouble.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:45PM
2LittleFishies

Aww- that's awful. I do need to add that we have the 36" mirrored induction and have been using it for about 5 months without a single issue. Sounds like you got a bad one : ( I hope Thermador makes it right.. and soon!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:36PM
milehihouse

MFatt, I chose this one because I thought it was $3,500 worth of cool. I had a portable induction unit first and loved it, and I even had a loaner from Thermador with the black surface while this mirrored one was on backorder. I had no problems with it. I *suspect* that something is new and different about the mirrored finishes made this year based on a couple of things I overheard. A new material perhaps, or a different manufacturer? I'm just guessing. I liked the zoneless one too, but I always try to get products that have been around awhile and had the kinks worked out. Ha!

2LittleFishies, I'm impressed that you got a mirrored one 5 months ago. We ordered our appliances early this year and learned in March that the mirrored cooktop was on backorder. I called a few other appliance stores in town, and they too said none were available. Perhaps you had one of the cooktops from the "last batch". Glad it's working for you! You probably don't want to trade, do you?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:35PM
thynes1501

Sorry to hear that such a significant (and important) purchase isn't working out for you. I'd be very disappointed if Thermador has somehow changed the design, or suppliers, for the worse... not a wise move on their part. Thus far, they (and most manufacturers) have had much success with induction cooktops. We have been using our 36" mirrored induction cooktop for three years now with no troubles. Thermador should be going out of their way to ensure you receive the worry-free performance you paid so dearly for.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:54PM
milehihouse

Thanks thynes. I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to get a mirrored cooktop that works. I'll let you know!

I jumped the gun and created another thread on Monday night when this one didn't show up right away. The other thread has gotten more responses (It's called 'What would you do?') so I'm linking it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: That Home Site - Kitchens, What would you do?

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Faux marble countertops II
Here's the link to original post, but it's kind of...
lavender_lass
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
Help with kitchen layout - main issue is where to put the ovens
I need to finalize my kitchen design so all feedback/suggestions...
keagle
Sponsored Products
Chianti 2-Cup Mini Dutch Oven
$29.99 | zulily
All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel 14-piece Cookware Set
FRONTGATE
Total Chef TCIS11BNG Induction Cooktop Single Burner
Overstock.com
Sunpentown Black 1300-watt Induction Cooktop
Overstock.com
30" Compass Series Stainless Steel Island Range Hood - 900 CFM
Signature Hardware