I did it! Made dining chair slipcovers!

deeinohioNovember 8, 2012

I have been wanting to do this forever, but was intimidated because I'm not an experienced sewer - just some throw pillows and occassionally curtain panels. With some serious internet research, and a few you-tube videos, I decided to just do it. I made 4 side chair covers and 2 armchair covers.

Keep in mind, please, I am NOT a sewer, and I subscribe to The Nester's philosophy that something doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

They still need some ironing and clipping, but I wanted to see them together. Please ignore the seweing paraphernalia. I'm going to make a couple of pillows in a mustard print for 2 of the chairs to match the ones in the kitchen.

I love the botanical series The Temple of Flora by Dr. Thornton and was thinking these two prints side by side on the long wall. What do you think?

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DLM2000

OMG I'm so impressed! They look fabulous! Pleated and everything - you are one brave wo-man!!!

I'm in the same sewing category as you - not a complete novice but never venturing into anything complicated. I've had slip covers for my dining chairs on my agenda for YEARS. You are my new hero!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:06AM
marti8a

They look great! I'm with dlm, you are one brave woman. Pleats are hard.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 12:10PM
gmp3

WOW! Those look great.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 12:15PM
cathy.d

WHAT. Those are adorable. They remind me of lace-up ballet slippers. How classy! Great job with these...you should start a business :)

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 12:24PM
bestyears

Beautiful job! They are gorgeous!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 12:50PM
cat_mom

They look fun, in a pretty and tasteful way (not tacky or kitschy). I hope you have some absolutely delightful meals while sitting on them!!!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 1:27PM
Flowerchild

Very nice, great job. I can imagine the struggle with those pleats. That was a hard project for a beginner. They look terrific. I love the botanical art.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 2:34PM
ghostlyvision

Good work, they look terrific, and I love the botanical prints.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 2:56PM
stinky-gardener

So pretty! Great job!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 3:09PM
allison0704

You did a great job - so pretty!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 3:13PM
always1stepbehind

Those are awesome...But I'd be afraid to let anyone sit on them ;-)

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 3:14PM
kswl2

Great job, I am impressed!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 5:09PM
Fori is not pleased

I looked at the photo and thought what a shame it would be to slipcover those gorgeous chairs...and then noticed it was the "after" picture. They're perfect! Love the strappy ties in the back.

I think the prints will be great in there too.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 5:17PM
nanny2a

You did a beautiful job! No one would know that they weren�t professionally done. You aced this!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 7:36PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Well done!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 8:15PM
bethohio3

Great job! Isn't it fantastic to use something you've created!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:03PM
cooperbailey

Awesome job! very inspiring for the rest of us!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:08PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

Dee, hate to disagree with you, but you are indeed a sewer! I do agree with what everyone else said-wonderful and impressive!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:36PM
deeinohio

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

dlm: Deb, you SO can do this. Believe me. If I did it, anyone can do it. If you decide to take it on, I'll share what I learned (Translation: Keep you from making my mistakes).

marti8a, gmp3, bestyears, cat_mom, ghostlyvision, stinky-gardener, allison, kswl, fori, anniedeighnaugh, bethohio3, cooperbailey, cyn427: Thank you all for taking the time to make such wonderful comments.

cathy.d: My inspiration was Lauren Ross' slipcovers, and she used ballet ties; mine could have been a little shorter, though. And I laughed out loud at your going into business comment!

flowerchild: I did the pleats with a SW paint stick with a slot in it, while sitting in front of the television. Time-consuming, but easy. I know a professional would use some kind of pleater mechanism, but I didn't have one.

nanny2a: I know you're a wonderful seamstress, so I appreciate your remarks. You (and annie and any other seamstresses) will appreciate that only a novice like me would take on a project with denim fabric, self-lined knife pleats (6 layers) sown in a length (so sometimes an extra layer or two) and self-lined seat (2 layers) and use a cheapie Kenmore to sew the suckers together. Sewing through the thickness was the worst part of the project, and I really feared I wouldn't make it.

And, thanks to those who commented on the botanicals. I'm going to order them.

Dee

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:31PM
Javachik

How pretty-both the covers and the prints! Three of those prints might look nice - unless they are each really (really) large.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 5:11AM
loribee

Kudos!! They are gorgeous!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 5:38AM
WMA89

Wow, they're gorgeous! I love the way the slipcovers tone down the formality of the chair. So glad you posted this, as I have been wanting to do the same thing to a new CL dining set I just purchased but have felt a little intimidated due to my basic sewing skills. You have inspired me!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:05AM
deeinohio

Thanks, javachik. I can order those prints in several sizes, so I think I'm going rather large, though the idea of 3....
Thanks, loribee and WMA89. And WMA, do it! Feel fere to email me if you need any help. As I said earlier, I learned a lot because I made many mistakes.

Dee

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:26PM
rafor

Great job! Those are wonderful. I keep seeing them all over blogland. Almost makes me want to get out my sewing machine and go for it.... I said "almost"!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:52PM
tuesday_2008

Good job Dee! Am I remembering correctly that you recently retired (maybe a couple of years ago)? I bet you love having time and energy to take on little projects like this. Keep paving the way for me. I have a couple of years left.

I see all these little projects that I would love to try and my thoughts are "oh..gee...one of these days...when I need to fill up the 24/7 hours I will : paint something or refinish a piece or sew some drapes or make a quilt or watch movies all day.

Enjoy your lovely chairs.

Tuesday

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 4:34PM
daisychain01

OMG, they look just like something off of cote de texas. Love the whole European-chic vibe you have going on with the rug and the prints will be perfect. Post another finished pic when the prints are up.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:00PM
61tinkerbell

I LOVE them!!!! I'm just starting to sew and this is perfect for my breakfast room chairs!!!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 9:46PM
deeinohio

Thanks, Tuesday. You have a great memory! It will be 4 years this December I've been retired. I still wake up in the morning ecstatic my time is my own. I do, however, work a seasonal job about 5 months a year, some of it from home, to stash up some decorating funds.

Thank you, too, daisy and tinker. I know you've done larger projects, daisy; and tinker, I know you're willing to try anything! Make sure to share yours when you get them done.

Dee

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 11:31PM
61tinkerbell

Dee, I've only done square pillows and a window seat, but it gave me enough confidence to try more things! Did you buy a pattern or make a pattern? Are they stuffed with fiberfill or a cushion?

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 7:30AM
deeinohio

Tinker, they're not stuffed at all; the chairs are upholstered. I self lined the seat to make sure you couldn't see through it.

I (well, DH) took off one of the chair cushions, traced around it onto muslin, added about 3 inches, then folded it in half, and used that as a pattern, putting it on a fold so both sides looked alike.

As I mentioned earlier, I used a slotted paint stick to make the folds.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Dee

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 8:49AM
lavender_lass

Dee- Congrats! Very well done...and such a great feeling, isn't it? :)

I like the prints, especially the one on the left. It looks great with the rug!

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 2:16PM
kathie738p

When you start selling these I'll need 6...absolutely divine!

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Another white paint Q but this one is a little different ...
We are opening a fabric store (100% cotton/quilting)...
sundowner
Bathroom Vanity Length
My Master Bath has a wall that is over 15 ft in length....
localeater
Help!! white or off white kitchen cabnits??
We are building a new home. The kitchen cabinets are...
Val McLemore
Wood filler when sanding isn't possible
My toilet paper holder is attached to my vanity. I...
Linelle
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Sponsored Products
Jive Highback Office Chair in Black
$199.00 | LexMod
Hopson Leather Ottoman - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
New Design Pastorale Wood Made Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
71" Oval Stone Mosaic Patio Marble Emperador Dining Table - OVALI
Living'ROC
Set of 2 Eames Style DAR Molded Black Plastic Dining Armchair with Steel Eiffel
eModern Decor