red paint and chair rail

joneyjmwNovember 1, 2012

Hello, were getting ready to move into and remodel a manufactured home. My son picked out a red bamboo for his floor, not red stained but red dyed (RED). I am wanting to match the red and take it part way up the wall and add a chair rail and then to lighter above. Will this hep the room appear bigger? its a fairly small room. The ceiling is slanted if that makes a differance, and I plan pn painting the top mouldings the same color as the wall. oppionions please... :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bronwynsmom

I don't think it will make the room bigger, but it will make the red floor and lower walls appear to be a big shallow box, and that can feel confining.

It will also emphasize the horizontal, and also the slant in the ceiling, and that often makes a ceiling look lower. Think about the look of bands of two different colors running around the room, and you'll see what I mean.

I would also reconsider the chair rail, given that your trim is very slender and feels modern. What if you chose a warm creamy white for the walls, crown, and ceiling, to minimize the line of the slanted ceiling, and painted the trim red to match the floor? The red floor could make the existing wood tone seem quite orange.

Then let your son pick a color for the door. In my house years ago, that would have meant metallic pewter, glossy black, or dark raisin purple!

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:07PM
lascatx

I think I agree with Bronwynsmom -- keep the red on the floor, let it be striking on it's own and be neutral with the walls and ceiling. One thing she didn't mention is that you will get a different texture and color saturation on the walls with paint than you will dye on a wood floor. They will feel heavier rather than the same.

I like the idea of a pewter or black door. Can see my son liking that too.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 1:48PM
joneyjmw

the red floor he picked out...

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:29PM
gmp3

Color does have a psychological effect on people. Red really can make kids more active or agitated. I'd opt for some other color on the walls, creamy tan, gray, etc.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:34PM
lascatx

If you hadn't said it was red, I would have said it was jello orange. Whatever it is, it is certainly bright -- don't think you need more than the floor.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Update on mcm landscaping - slow but sure progress
The concrete patios are in, but still curing. They...
rockybird
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
Check In here, Roll Call
Hello dear friends! Have you made it here ok? Let this...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™