Non-pendant over island?

Alice JohannenJuly 21, 2012

Our ceilings are not particularly high (91") and I was wondering about island lighting. Do people ever use non-pendant lighting over an island? Ours will house our sink, DW and a 36" drawer cabinet on one side, three 12" depth cabinets on the other. The sink will not be centered, so a single light in the center would be odd and wouldn't illuminate the sink that well. Nor would 2 pendants necessarily take care of the problem.

What are your thoughts about using something like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beeps

I'd think about recessed can lights. While I think what you are showing is pretty cool, my impression is that track lighting is heading out of style - even though they are still selling it. But, I could be wrong on that.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 6:49PM
Bellsmom

I have can lights. They are OK. I couldn't have pendants over the island because there is a large antique leaded glass fixture over breakfast table that would conflict with anything hanging. Family pieces that I cannot bear to part with defined and limited my choices throughout the kitchen.
BUT if I were designing on my own preferences and taste, I would consider this very strongly for an island.
This isn't, to my mind, ''track lighting.'' I like it a lot more.
If your kitchen is modern and sleek--or if it speaks to you. go for it.

Sandra

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 7:24PM
Alice Johannen

I have to agree -- I don't really consider this "track lighting" per se. I have some of that out in the living/dining area of the house. OLD track lighting that is really OUT. This does seem modern and sleek -- we are going to have somewhat of a sleeker vibe, though not modern. We have Ikea Adel Medium Brown (warm wood Shaker-style) cabinets with fairly simple but modern drawer pulls, Kashmir White granite on the perimeter and honed Jet Mist on the island, and a fairly contemporary backsplash -- American Olean St. Germain. So the fixture above could prove to be more contemporary than we want, but it's the IDEA of it, really, that I'm wondering about. We have a peninsula and an island and a table, and I think it will look a bit funny to have dangling lights all over the place! Plus there's the low ceiling issue ...

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 9:45PM
cawaps

It looks like that fixture takes MR16s, which are very directional. I'd be wary of creaing a spotlight effect on your island.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:51PM
Alice Johannen

cawaps, I never really thought about the directionality (?) of the bulbs. Thanks for bringing it up. I guess we have more research to do!

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Wolf gas range owners - would you buy Wolf again?
I posted a question on the Appliances forum last night...
kaysd
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Please help me decide on kitchen wall cab elevations
We have a 10 foot sloped ceiling (10 feet where the...
veroni2413
Horrible exsisting kitchen layout. Help.
I need help with a bad kitchen layout. Very narrow...
dogger10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™