quartz slab: how much reserve is needed for fabrication

M_N_AJuly 31, 2013

I am trying to see how to best leverage a slab without going for another slab which is a big waste

let's say the slab is 120"x25.5" and I need 2 pieces of 60" each and the edge does NOT need to be finished, does it work if it's cut right in the middle? Is any extra measurement need to be allocated for cutting?

What if all 4 short edges need to be polished, how much should be reserved for polishing and what is the max size we can get out of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gpraceman55

Are you sure you will be paying for full slabs?

Since we were going with a popular granite, our fabricator will only charge us for the actual square footage used. They can use the remainder for other clients of theirs. If we'd have chosen some less popular granite, we would have been paying for full slabs.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:45PM
M_N_A

different stores go differently I believe

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 7:01PM
Peke

My people said if they bring a slab in for us we buy the whole slab. If they already have the slab (whether it is regular, select, premium quality) they only charge for what they cut. Everyone is different, I guess.

I think they can make the edge smaller but you may not like the look. I know my fabricator said he usually takes off an inch all around and 1/8 or 1/4 inch for the width of the blade is lost. (I forgot which one)

I am in the same boat. My slab may or may not fit. I guess I will find out next week. I really don't want to pay for another quartzite slab. I could use all of it eventually in the rest of the house, but I am not remodeling the rest yet. I don't want the slab in my garage in case it gets broken. That would kill me. Peke

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???
I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next...
eleena
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
raee - any tips for cabinet maker you recommended?
Sorry, I still seem to be unable to figure out how...
oasisowner
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™