Does River White granite discolor after a few years?

raee_gwJuly 31, 2013

Maybe Oldryder can help?

I was talking with a fabricator about choosing a granite color; I saw a sample of River White and really liked it. But, she told me that River White was not only softer and more porous than average, but she said that it would "bloom" over time -- like a couple of years--with a greenish color from the resins used on (in?) it during preparation. She was really discouraging about this choice. Has anyone experienced this?

She also said that Kashmir white was similar in its negative qualities and also not available now.

What are some other grey-white, subtle patterned granites that would be more durable?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jentrex

I believe your fabricator is correct! I've had my River White for a yr and a half and lately I thought some areas looked a little darker than it did when it was first installed. It's not everywhere, just where there are heavier swirls. These areas were always a nice gray-green color, now they are just a darker gray-green, but not in a bad way. Again, it's not all over and it's just a subtle darkening. I've had no problems with the granite. It's good that your fabricator made you aware of this.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 7:44PM
raee_gw

Thanks jentrex, but I wonder if you are seeing what she meant, because I had commented that a greenish tone --gray-green or olive - wouldn't bother me and she said "more like lime jello"!

Glad to hear that after a year & half you've had no problems.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:47PM
may_flowers

Here's a previous thread on green bloom, described as fluorescent green.

Here is a link that might be useful: green bloom

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:11PM
raee_gw

Thanks, may_flowers! If I decide to use River white (or any of the white granites) I will be sure to ask about preventing this.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 8:31AM
Errant_gw

I was told this was only an issue with the older accelerants used. The new accelerants don't cause have this issue. Is that correct?

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:59PM
kevdp4

River White and Kasmir White can both darken some with time. The "green bloom is caused when an accelerant is used to quicken the cure time of cyanoacrylic glue/filler. There are some new accelerants that are less likely to cause green blooms but there is still many on the market that still will cause this.

The sales lady is mistaken by stating the stone will do this on it's own.

This post was edited by kevdp4 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 20:06

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 8:02PM
gr8daygw

Would it still do it if it was honed?

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:28PM
edb2n

I'm no expert, but what I've read about green bloom says it happens very shortly after the stone is fabricated. Like within a few days, maybe a few weeks. And it's the result of a chemical used in fabrication, not a flaw in the stone

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:22AM
Errant_gw

Thank you, kevdp4! I'm in the process of finding a fabricator now (a surprising difficult task). I've had my mind set on River White but was having second thoughts after seeing discussion of "green bloom."

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 2:05PM
lisapoi

I'm so sorry to hear about your granite. Now I'm wondering about our choice. Does anyone know if this green bloom affects bianco romano granite, too?

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 6:39AM
kevdp4

The 'green bloom" does not occur naturally in the stone. It is caused by the accelerator that is sometimes used during the fabrication/install process. If no accelerator is used by the fabricator/installer there should be no "green bloom".

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
marble bathroom counters in ladies room- real life
This marble counter is in the ladies' room basement...
scrappy25
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Help! White Kitchen, dark counter and gold/brass fixtures???
Actual kitchen; it's dark and dull! My husband and...
Azalia Speight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™