Can these two colors live next to each other?

Lake_GirlJuly 24, 2013

I just posted this on Home Decorating forum, but thought there's a lot of gray kitchens here, so probably great advice here. Anyway, my living room is a gold, creamy tan color, almost yellowish (can't you just see it:). It's called Country Cream by Glidden. I want to paint my kitchen, which is right next to LR, a gray color. The rooms are only divided by a framed area painted with white trim. Will gray go basically right next to a creamy yellowish, goldish, tannish color? I like something like Revere Pewter, but not sure? I still like the LR color, and really didn't want to paint it at this time. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosie

Cream and gray are a classic match, one I've loved for a very long time, but which gray for your cream? None are pure. Various hues can look a perfect gray on their own but reveal their purplish, or pink, green, brown, or blue nature when combined with other colors.

A suddenly clashing mauve gray against a newly brownish tan isn't the only thing that could happen. I remember a beautifully sophisticated, elegant old dining room in very soft yellow and blue. I was very surprised when in the middle of my envious compliments the owner told me the wallpaper and old woodwork were actually cream and gray.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 7:11PM
Holly- Kay

I love the two colors together but like Rosie said "watch out for the undertones".

You may want to buy samples of the greys that you are considering and paint a large poster or paint board with the grey and prop it against the yellow so you can observe how the two play together with the light during the day and your lighting at night.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 7:55PM
snookums2

I like that color combo too, but it really does depend.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:42PM
Lake_Girl

Has anyone worked with this color combo, able to give me some gray paint names?

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 11:47PM
herbflavor

one of the two is better a more intense shade......the white trim is the balancing force.....but what is the rest of the trim besides the white area you mention? If the creamy tan is lightish, then I would think a little darker or more pigmented for the gray-veering to pewter. But if the tan is darker-like caramel-then a softer gray.....[what might the cabinets/counter be?isn't that where you want to focus on coordinating it all?].....unless the kitchen components are extremely neutral...

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:24AM
Lake_Girl

The cabs are white, but they are across the room from the doorway to LR. Actually there's a large pine hutch near doorway. I see what you're saying with the intensity of the two colors. I think the two shades are almost equal in intensity, and that's what's bothering me. I also looked at the lighter gray owl, and it might work. Unfort., it seems a little two blue for my taste I think. I think a silver sage type color would work, just didn't wanna go that blue.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Faux marble countertops II
Here's the link to original post, but it's kind of...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Natalie taupe table runners 20x59
Origin Crafts
Philips | Urban Oasis Pendant Light
$350.00 | YLighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Brown 7 ft. 6
Home Depot
Plymouth Bath Bar
Lightology
Brown Jesse Rug
$32.99 | zulily