Dishwasher on end of row of base cabinets--issues?

mweyandtJuly 21, 2014

Hi all,

I'd like to install a Bosch or Miele dishwasher on the end of a row of base cabinets, between the cabinets and the refrigerator. I've attached an Ikea sketch (dishwasher has a black front for whatever reason). I have a few questions and concerns:

1. Do countertops actually rest on the dishwasher, i.e. can the dishwasher bear some of the countertop weight?

2. Related to #1, is it necessary that I have some "end" panel on the opposite side of the dishwasher (between the DW and fridge in my sketch), framing the dishwasher on both sides, so that the "floating" end of the counter is anchored to something?

3. Any issues with adding a continuous side cover panel from the top of the above-fridge cabinet, down past the fridge, ending at the countertop?

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

The dishwasher doesn't need to be anchored, but the countertop above the dishwasher does need to be supported by something other than the dishwasher. in our kitchen, between the refrigerator and the dishwasher is a piece that extends from front to back to support the countertop. It's T-shaped as I recall (I may be wrong about that) so the front is 1-1/2" wide and the panel that goes front to back is 3/4".

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:52PM
annkh_nd

A panel on the side of the fridge will help support the cabinet above it, as well as the countertop over the DW.

Here's mine. The photo was meant to show the stencil, but it also shows the fridge panel.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 4:22PM
sjhockeyfan325

ankh, I'm a little confused by your post (not by the picture, just the words). you wrote "a panel...will help support the cabinet above it" ---- did you mean "the counter above it"? Your picture shows what I described in my post.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 5:18PM
mweyandt

This is very helpful--thanks everyone!

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 5:57PM
annkh_nd

SJ, I meant that a fridge panel - floor to ceiling - will add support to the cabinet above the fridge, since there aren't upper cabs above the DW in the OP's sketch.

An old 12" wall cabinet can hang out into space, but I'd like more support for a fridge-depth cabinet.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 6:18PM
suzanne_sl

Our dishwasher butts up to a pantry, which is essentially the same situation you're talking about

Underneath the floating end of the granite, we installed an L bracket screwed to the side of the pantry to support that end

The dishwasher doesn't support any of the weight. In your case, if you put a panel down on the outside of the uppers cabs over the 'fridge to the floor, that would be the place to install a bracket like the one we have. You definitely need something there.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 7:33PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You also need a ledger at the rear on the wall.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:38PM
Trebruchet

"The dishwasher doesn't need to be anchoredâ¦"

The manufacturer of every dishwasher I've ever seen requires the dishwasher to be anchored. It keeps them from tipping when opened. Anchoring to countertops is obsolete; modern dishwashers are secured though their sides into the adjacent cabinets and/or panels.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:48PM
Trebruchet

mweyandt:

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

You want a continuous floor to top cabinet panel, not one the sets on the countertop.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:51PM
sjhockeyfan325

I meant it needn't be anchored to the counter. Of course, it should be anchored on the sides.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™