Kitchen Layout help, please -esp fridge placement
We are trying to finalize our kitchen layout and I'd love to get your opinions/advice. I have read through all the materials on zones, placements, etc. Thank you to everyone who contributed to that and all those posts here. It is an unbelievable wealth of information!
1. I like where the fridge is now, but my husband is worried that it's too far away from the action. We currently have a small galley kitchen so everything is within 1-2 steps. My husband would like to swap the fridge and ovens.
- I get his point, but it will make the range off center from the island (my pet-peeve) and we're currently planning on a 48 in fridge which seems massive so I like it being a little out of the way.
- On it's own, the fridge could be accessed by people for drinks/snacks and not interfere with other people cooking.
- For ovens, we are leaning towards a 36 in gas range and a Miele steam combi oven w/warming drawer. However, we may do a range top and then the oven wall would have the Miele combi, regular oven, warming drawer.
2. Island/Prep sink: I would like it on the end closest to the main sink. Is that too close to the main sink? The other options are centering it (I'd prefer not to break up the space) or the opposite end which would mean having only one seat on the short side and 3 along the long side of the island.
3. Island configuration: Originally we had planned for a 4.5' x 9' island that would have 4 seats across the long side. We have had to remove our kitchen table (we've tried so many iterations and it just doesn't work) so we changed the seating to wrap it around the side. The dimension of the island is now 5' x 8'. Opinions? We are a family of 4 and would eat most family dinners in our dining room adjacent to the kitchen or outside (we live in the SF Bay Area). The reality is during the week between work, coaching and kids' sports, we only all eat dinner together 2 maybe 3 times a week. During the summer, we eat outside frequently. It's usually my two kids and me during the school year, but we do sit down for meals and I do think it's important to be able to look at each other and have a conversation :)
I have included the architect,s drawings with dimensions and also a sketch that is hopefully easier to read.
TIA - I appreciate any and all feedback!