Inset cabinets - adjustments needed??

julie1973July 24, 2014

Hi. I just got back from a KD that carries shiloh. I am interested in the inset. The KD was telling me all the "issues" with inset - but the one that stuck out that I hadn't heard before was that the hinges/drawer hardware would need to be adjusted periodically - maybe once per year. He said it was because they get knocked out of alignment if someone pulls too hard or something. Has anyone experienced this with shiloh's or other inset cabs? He also mentioned swelling, etc, with temperature/humidity changes, which doesn't concern be much since we turn the AC on once the weather warms up and then keep it on at a consistent temperature until cool weather. He also seemed to be steering me away from the shiloh and toward the more expensive Plato - but I am definitely on budget that I don't think would allow Plato. Is Plato THAT much nicer than shiloh - for painted white shaker style inset cabs? In any event, I am waiting on his estimate for the shiloh inset. Thanks for any input!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

All the cup style hinges need periodic adjustment; some more than others depending on use. Overlay or insert makes no difference.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 5:46PM
Gooster

If they are hidden hinges, an adjustment will consist of a partial turn with a screw, if you care about consistent spacing of the gap between the door and the frame. For me, it happened on one or two cabinets, and 30 seconds later I was done.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:37PM
julie1973

Thanks for the responses. So it doesn't sound like a big deal at all. I guess the difference is that the amount of movement is not noticeable with an overlay cabinet but with inset, the spacing may seem off....

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:41PM
CEFreeman

Same old crap.
Do a search on this topic and you'll see it's a common "warning" when a KD doesn't know ... crap ... about inset cabinets.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 11:05PM
ajc71

"warning" when a KD doesn't know ... crap ... about inset cabinets."

I have to disagree with you, I am not a KD but have been involved in numerous renovations using very "high end" cabinetry....everything from Crown Point to Christopher Peacock, Mark Wilkinson etc....without question inset cabinets are more sensitive compared to standard frameless cabinetry and the designers from all the above mentioned will be the first to tell you

And I totally agree that the KD should mention the concerns he/she has...why wouldn't they, if there is a problem later the customer would be the first to say "you never told me".

Kind of like when someone orders painted doors and as the seasons change you see the joints in the doors...if the KD doesn't say anything upfront who is at fault?

Or if a client insists on having solid wood center panels in the doors because solid is "better quality"....yeah sure, again until the seasons change and every glue line is visable

KD must share their knowledge and educate the client, if not there will just be a bunch of finger pointing and people posting on here saying they were never told this could happen

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Please recommend pulls for DW and trash pullout
I'm looking for long handled pulls for both the trash...
laughablemoments
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Sponsored Products
Polaris P146 Hand Painted Glass Vessel Sink
PLFixtures
Juno Pro-Series 22 in. Black Under Cabinet Fluorescent UPF22-BL
$73.97 | Home Depot
Classic Home Furniture - Wood Cabinet In Multi Color - 59022991
Great Furniture Deal
Simple Living Tall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Porcelain Bathroom Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets