Need help with Kitchen Lay-out

StephBoltJuly 28, 2014

I'm new to this site and I hope I'm doing this right, but I'm looking for help with my kitchen lay-out. I have attached the kitchen portion of my preliminary main level floor plan. The great room is to the left, the mudroom is through the door to the right and the dining room is through the walk-through bar/pantry area.
What I'm wondering is:
a) Would you leave the fridge and double ovens side-by-side or would you move one or the other to the wall of cabinets where there are currently no appliances? AND
b) If you leave the fridge and ovens side-by-side, would you do pantry-style tall cabinets on the wall without any appliances or would you do uppers and lowers (ie. will I regret not having more counter space)?
Please feel free to offer any advice/criticism. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Texas_Gem

When you pull something out of the oven, where will you set it?
I always like to have some counter space next to my ovens to set stuff down.
When your oven door is open, it will block traffic. If anyone is trying to get a drink, it will block traffic.

It doesn't seem like an effective layout to me.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:02PM
tracie.erin

Your zones are all jumbled up, and you have enough room that they don't have to be. I'd put both fridge and ovens on bottom wall with a pantry for a "wall of tall," cleanup Sink & DW at bottom of right wall - DW NOT between sink and Range - and have a prep sink in the island. Put MW in an upper cabinet on either side of the cleanup sink, or put a drawer version or even a standard version in the island facing the fridge.

Actually, I might recommend swapping the range and sink/dw. It all depends on the layout of the rest of the house. Do you have a whole-house layout?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:27PM
kirkhall

Where do you plan to actually eat? (the dining nook, or the dining room)?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:18PM
lisa_a

Here's another option to consider.

I made the assumption that you'll ea*t your meals primarily in the BK and not the DR. That's why I put the fridge closest to the table, making is eas*y to grab items for the table without crossing into the cook zone. to grab items for the table without crossing into the cook zone.

I couldn't tell what purpose the cabs at the bottom of the kitchen were to serve so I gave it a suggested purpose.

How wide is that span of cabs? I'm guessing it's about 75", which is just enough room to put the fridge (gen'l 39" to 40" for fridge and fridge cab) and ovens (30" to 33" for oven cab) next to each other.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:09

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™