Cabinet paint brand - local options limited!

thecatzmeowJuly 1, 2013

After doing a lot of reading, I *thought* I had settled on Ben Moore Advanced... but I cannot find it ANYWHERE within an hour of me!

Part of what was drawing me to the Advanced was the low-VOCs. We have young children in the house and minimizing the stench of painting is high on the priority list. We can't logistically or financially afford to just move out for a few days while it dries!

Should I just order it online or does someone else have a good suggestion of a minimal-stinky paint that will dry hard for cabinets?

Primer suggestions also welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

I personally like the new Behr Premium Plus Ultra in the satin finish. It doesn't eliminate the necessity of a good traditional oil based stain blocking primer underneath, but it does cure to a hard wearing durable finish. And it has good coverage. I've had several clients use the Heavy Cream on their cabinets, with one going back 5 years to when it was first introduced. No problems, as long as you let it have enough time to cure. If you're looking for something less creamy, and brighter, Painter's White is about as neutral of an off white as you can get.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 2:15PM
rmiriam

I just painted a sample cabinet with Cabinet Coat, and it is holding up very well to my toddler climbing in and out of the cabinet and slamming the it against the adjoining wall. I got it from the BM store, but I believe you can also get it at the big boxes.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:41PM
thecatzmeow

Thank you! How were the odors on these paints?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:08PM
rmiriam

I painted only one door, and did it in my shed, so did not notice much odor from the Cabinet Coat. But it might be a lot stonger inside and over a larger area.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:41PM
rmiriam

I painted only one door, and did it in my shed, so did not notice much odor from the Cabinet Coat. But it might be a lot stonger inside and over a larger area.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
How high above countertop is the bottom of cabinets?
in a sink area? I have 18 inches above regular countertop...
Annette Holbrook
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand
We're going to redo our kitchen but aren't quite ready...
stretchad
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™