Backsplash tile question

scubatedJuly 13, 2009

Hi,

I am finally doing the tile backsplash with subway tiles and want to know if the tile should end to line up with the upper cabinet or the surface of the granite countertop. One the right side it will be obvious to end it with the countertop which is adjacent to window trim. On the left side there is more of a wall which includes light switches. I am not sure which way is considered right to line up with the end of the upper cabs or the end of the granite countertop.

Thannks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

I like it to end up with the countertop, but some people like it to line up with the upper cabinets. Not too helpful, am I? Just do what feels right to you and either way is OK.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 4:26PM
scubated

Thanks Fori!
I guess it is one of those things that is up to your personal aesthetic and not a rule thing.

Patricia

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 11:17AM
bill_vincent

Pat-- how do the light switches come into play, depending on which way you end the tile? The reason I ask is that you need to make sure the face plate is either all ON the tile, or all OFF the tile. No 1/2 and 1/2. Other than that, it's all a matter of how YOU like it. I've done it both ways. Personally I prefer to end the tile with the upper cabinets, but again, that's personal preference.

As you can see with this one, if we'd ended at the upper cabinets, it would've been a problem with the electrical faceplate, so we DID extend this one to the end of the countertop:

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
Ikeafans website has closed down
I know that the Ikeafans website was seeded by gardenweb,...
scrappy25
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™