Corner space required for bar stools?

BellaBuggyJuly 8, 2013

I have searched for this answer to no avail, but I apologize in advance if it is here and I've overlooked it.

We are building a large bar height seating area which measures 5x8. I purchased 10 bar stools, thinking three on the long sides and two on the short. However, following the ~24 inches per seat rule, we could actually have two more stools for the long sides on the table. However, I'm not sure how those sitting at the corners would be affected. I am not mathematically inclined and I don't know how to calculate it. As it is, the stools can each slide in under the table top, and I want it to stay that way.

The table has an 18" overhang to allow stools to tuck under completely. The bottom of the legs is the widest portion, and that measures 17" square at the floor. I hope that makes sense! I realize the easiest way would be to try it out in person, but the table won't be done until next week and we have 14 family members coming in from out of town, so if I can do extra seating I would love to order it now so we could have it when they arrive.

It is miserable sitting in a too-tight corner spot so I don't want to create a problem, but on the flip side we have a very large family and every extra seat would help.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

I think it might be ok but you should really mock it up. I think that there is enough body space but you should make sure that the eating area of the corner diners won't be compromised. Create a "table" using something like newspapers. Then see if you can place good-sized placemats on the "table" without them overlapping each other. If you can do that, I think you should be ok.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 2:05PM
angela12345

Per "the rules", no this would not work. However, I think it would be do-able. Many of the bar height tables that seat 8 are 54x54 which doesn't follow the rules either (for knee space).

If it were me I would go ahead and get the 2 extra stools. Could you return them if they do not work ?

Is it too late to build the table at 5x9 ?

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 7:18PM
BellaBuggy

The table size can't be changed, unfortunately. The stools could technically be returned, but I am ordering online so paying shipping both ways would be kind of painful.

The two extra seats aren't really needed, I just thought that there would be some way to calculate how chairs tuck in/people sit comfortably at table corners, but if there is I sure can't find it!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Any good, light-weight cookware out there?
I'm really not complaining. I cook on All-Clad and...
eam44
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
Sponsored Products
SunStopper Sun Haven 16 x 10-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-16X10-MANUAL
Hayneedle
Price Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Prairie Collection Rug 8' x 10' - SILVER
$3,599.00 | Horchow
Bar None Accent Table
$139.99 | Dot & Bo
Flash Furniture Contemporary Burgundy Barstool
$112.90 | LuxeDecor
Multi Color Modern Soap Dispenser
maestrobath
Biking Red Zero-Twist Cotton Towel Set