Remodeling- coordination

bobeliciousJuly 17, 2014

I'm planning for a kitchen remodel. My question is about how best to coordinate installation. Assume rough cabinet design & kitchen layout is complete, electrical, plumbing, is also roughly planned out.

A poster in the appliances forum stated "All appliances should be on hand before the kitchen is installed in case this happens. Manufacturers always reserve the right to make changes that are outside current model's specs. It's in the fine print. And if you've ever been burned by that, you won't make that mistake."

If that is the general advice, before finalizing cabinet design (detailed spec), should cabinet maker come on site and measure appliances, etc. only after delivery (i.e they can not rely on published specs). Assume preliminary measurements for cabinets have already been done (to get a quote).

Being that it might take 8 weeks for cabinets to be built, it seems crazy to have to sit and wait that long (take 2 months off appliance warranties, delay any potential returns, etc) . Is that the normal process or are there other recommended ways to proceed without such long delays?

I am a homeowner and will be picking the cabs and all appliances myself. I will work with a contractor :-) I do plan on discussing this with them, just thought I would ask and see if anyone has any recommendations on how best to proceed and cover as many pitfalls as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

bobelicious:

You are right to be concerned, but if you're acting as your own kitchen designer that would concern me more. There are many things to know and the people who know them have usually paid a heavy price for that education. You will pay for that education by hiring a designer or by attending the school of hard knocks yourself. The former is much less expensive and timely than the latter. Of course you could get lucky.

Manufacturer's are just looking to cover their butts. I wouldn't worry about substantial changes to installation specifications. A 29 7/8" range does not become 30 1/4" overnight.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 1:55PM
rmtdoug

>A 29 7/8" range does not become 30 1/4" overnight.

No, but manufacturing variations, especially where insulation is involved, could make it a 30 1/4" range. This is especially true with refrigerators.

Either have the appliances on hand or give a little extra 'scooch' room for installing them and deal with the fillers after.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 2:02PM
Trebruchet

This paralyzing fear of specification deviation is what's helping fuel the nearly year-long kitchen remodels posted so often here.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:57PM
bobelicious

Thanks for the replies.

Trebuchet,

I realize the risk with no KD but just recently have gone through a remodel myself + contractor for my 2nd floor (built in cabs, washer/dryer room) so feel pretty good about taking the design risk. Thanks for mentioning though. I've spent many hours over the last 6 months with the rough design (function, layout, etc.). That said, I do plan on posting my layout on this forum to get some feedback (just figured out how to post > 1 image in a post ).

Big difference, for me, with a kitchen that I see is # of appliances, countertops, flooring, so a good deal more coordination required, which led to my question. I'm still curious about how others, in general, deal with the coordination (cabs, appliances, allowing for tolerances - rule of thumbs? ).

Again, thanks for your comments!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Soapstone in the Midwest/St. Louis area?
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for the past year,...
designsaavy
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Sponsored Products
Butterfly Sundial
Signature Hardware
Furniture of America Linea 2 Drawer Nightstand - IDF-7916PW-N
$259.91 | Hayneedle
Porcelina Brushed Nickel Six-Light 24-Inch Wide Fluorescent Square Framed Flush
$798.00 | Bellacor
Madison Park Lafayette 7-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Asymmetrical Oval Black Granite Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware