Does anyone have 'Spice Drawers' or small cubbies?

linnea56July 7, 2009

A few years back when remodeling I looked at what the cabinet people called a "Spice Drawer" unit. It was a frame with small square cubbies, available with either open (no drawers), small baskets or wood drawers. Though they are called "Spice Drawers" I doubt anyone would use it for spices, itÂs just a catchy name. I opted against it at the time but now am considering it for a library room. I would use it vertically, rather than horizontally, with no drawers, to hold CDs and very small art objects like miniature teapots. The commercial CD cabinets I have found are too wide to fit my space, which is a max of 6 ½".

I am wonder who has one and likes it, and what you found it useful (or not useful) for. Or if you found any similar small-cubby unit.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56

I should say that when I google searched this, all I came up with were ordinary drawers that people stored their spice bottles in! So maybe it is no longer available, or goes by another name. So if anyone has an idea of what to use for this purpose, please chime in. In essence, it would be a very skinny bookcase, width 6 ½ or a little under; Height ideally 42" or I could stack several shorter units. They would be sandwiched between other bookcases so stability would not be an issue. I thought of a wine rack but have not found anything that narrow.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 1:23PM
growlery

When I was shopping I saw many lines, including the families that included the Crystal and Woodmode lines (you know, all the many product lines that are sold along with those lines), that included a vertical wine cubby/spice cubby option.

Or something that the company was willing to adapt very easily by removing a door, or adding a couple of little shelves to an open tray storage cupboard.

It's not 61/2, more like, oh, 5? But I think they came in a variety of heights.

I ended up having mine custom made, but I think what you're talking about is pretty much what I'm now storing my spices in now. And the look was not substantially different.

"Drawer" to me says something that pulls out. Or is that what you want?

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 3:03PM
granite-girl

Go to your local cabinet dealer or Lowes or Home Depot in the kitchen dept. All cabinet lines have them, call them spice drawers, wine cubbies or just cubbies. They are very cute, standard sizes are 6" W. x 30", 36" 42" H ...
It should work out fine for your need.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 3:09PM
cotehele

IKEA may be too wide. There are several configurations.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA organizers (spice/wine)

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™