Which backsplash?

FensherJuly 14, 2013

We are currently renovating our kitchen. The countertops have been installed and the walls and cabinets painted. We have chosen some samples of backsplashes that are pretty neutral since our countertop is so busy.

I can't decide on which one I like the most. I think it's going to be #1 but I'm still on the fence for that one.

Which one do you like the best?

And here's a pic of them all together.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annac54

Color-wise, I like #1 best, however, I think the stripes in all of them don't play well with your countertop. Can you post pictures of the rest of the kitchen so we can see the what else is going on around the counters? Pretty stone. What's it called?

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:10PM
sanjuangirl

Could you please post a pic of just your counters? It's hard to get a feel for them. A shot of how much bs will be in the room would be helpful as well as being able to see the paint and cabinet color.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:10PM
islanddevil

They look busy to me, but need to see them in context. It would help if you showed more of your kitchen so we could see the style and colors of your cabs, counters and floor.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:05PM
cawaps

Color variation in the tiles can make this kind of mosaic look very busy over a wide area, and I think it is very hard to visualize the effect without doing some kind of mockup (whether taping a bunch of photocopies of the tile to your your or using Photoshop).

If your granite is busy I would avoid 1 or 2. Between 3 and 4, I can't tell which I like better--they look almost the same in the close-ups, but very different when you show all 4 options together. And I don't think either one knocks it out of the park paired with the granite.

I'm linking to a recent thread where someone was considering a similar mosaic that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic backsplash thread.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:11PM
joaniepoanie

Make 10-20 color copies of the ones you like and tape them up on the BS...this will give you a better idea of how the pattern will look over a larger area instead of just looking at one sample.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:47PM
enduring

The counter reads reddish/pinkish undertones to me. The tiles are green or blue. I don't care for any of the tiles with the color of your counter. #1 has lighter tiles that seem to go, but the green tiles in the mix, kill the combination for me. Try a few samples of tiles that approximate the color of your counter, or if you want strong contrast, go with that strong gray/black in the stone.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:06PM
herbflavor

altho you describe the tiles as "pretty neutral" and are trying to find something for your "busy granite" , the pencil tiles have a lot going on....for some eyes, even more than the granite. What is happening is pairing busy with busy, and the color issue can't smooth out the problem. Do some more searching....you can select glass tiles, say smaller square mosaics in the white family/silver/gray or a pinky taupe. Is it the glass that you like as opposed to regular ceramic?

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:44AM
rococogurl

The tiles don't look like the right style for the granite to me.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 3:05PM
dilly_ny

I don't like #2 or #3, but its hard to tell because we can hardly see any counter.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 3:37PM
c9pilot

It seems like the undertones don't match to me as well.

And I think you need a simple, neutral tile to go with a busy granite. Generally I think the pattern can be interesting (strips or mosaic or diagonals or whatever) but works better if it's one color.

This post was edited by c9pilot on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 16:32

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 4:30PM
akl_vdb

I think your pics are nice, but not quite with that counter. We have a durastone Ames tile in the Luna (which is too light for us, should have gotten the ash grey:( ), but the product is nice. Has some interest while still being fairly simple. We have the 6 x 24 mosaic

Link to post with pics and others advice

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061445114026.html

Here is a link that might be useful: tile pic

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:40AM
More Discussions
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Kitchen design assistance - Small kitchen
I have a 12x13 foot kitchen with way too many entry...
schuste1
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
thoughts about Grabill and/ or Superior Woodcraft kitchen cabinets
Hi, everyone. Does anyone here have experience with...
katherine10583
Sponsored Products
Oasis Rondo Wall Sconce
Lightology
Leff Amsterdam | Day&Night Watch Wall Clock
YLiving.com
Chamberlain 1 Light Pendant
Overstock.com
Currey and Company Crystal 6-Light 27" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Bryson 56 in. Polished Nickel Ceiling Fan 56156
Home Depot
Corner Gold Bathroom Sinks
maestrobath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™