Help! Do I need spacers for American Olean 3x6 subway tiles?

jlaasp6July 1, 2013

I have American Olean 3x6 white subway tiles I'm going to use in the kitchen for the backsplash. The tiles have a continuous rim around the base of the tile and leaves a small gap (not the little nubs on some brands) when butted together, it is just the look I want. Do I need spacers or can I just butt them up to each other? I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere as to if I can butt them up together or if I need to use a spacer....I added a picture of the tile I have..it's the tile on the far right.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalindi615

I used these same exact tiles in my bath. I found the built in spaces to be inconsistent, so I did use spacers for them to be safe and am very happy I did.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 1:57PM
chicgeek

We used the same tile for our kitchen backsplash. Please use the spacers (check to see what is recommended grout line and get spacers that size). if you want a uniform look, then choose a grout color that best blends with the tiles.

Our contractor does alot of tile work and as good as he is, he said that even the slightest variance in a linear placement can affect the straight line. He always uses them, even with 30 years experience of doing tile work.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:31PM
jlaasp6

Thank you so much Kali615 and chicgeek!! I guess it will be more work, but it will be worth it for it to look good...

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 7:47AM
rovo

Late to this, but wanted to second using the spacers. We used the same tiles and had to totally redo our bs due to slight variances (and crooked walls)! The second time around, spacers did the trick. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 9:40AM
shipshape

Just to be contrary...I used very similar tiles (think they were Datile) without spacers, white grout, and the backsplash came out great. I'm suppose for the best consistency, spacers would help, but then the final result depends on your skill and prep as much as anything.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Silgranit metallic gray or cinder?
I am getting ready to order my super single Silgranit...
sblct
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
My two tone kitchen reveal sans backsplash
My kitchen is finally finished! Well, except for the...
fishymom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™