Pendant opinions please

ds945July 3, 2013

Here are the pendants I am considering for my kitchen island. It has only taken me 1 year to find these (lol - I always get 90% done then get stuck). They are in oil rubbed bronze. They are roughly 11" wide by 17" tall. I think I will try beekeeper's wife's suggestion and use balloons to see if they are the right size for my island. (My island is 3' x 5'. I would love opinions.
Here is a rough photo cut and paste.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ck_squared

11 x 17 is huge. I think they will be too big for your smallish island. One might be okay; but I wouldn't put two of that size in your space.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:28PM
ds945

Hmm.... I am thinking that since they are basically open metal that they won't seem too big (there is no glass). I definitely think that 17 inches is not too tall. I have 9' ceilings. I am not sure about the 11' wide, though.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:38PM
ds945

Oops forgot to say that they are not returnable, so I really do appreciate the critiques. This wouldn't be the first item I have purchased and then regretted.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:40PM
Holly- Kay

They may be fine. I have a smaller island than you do. My pendant is 10" wide (I just did a single) and IMO it is too big for my space. I bought a coordinating pendant for over my sink and that one is 8 1/2 wide and just right. I am thinking I may move the bigger pendant over the sink and the smaller one over the island. I bought mine from lamps plus but they sat in my basement for 5 or 6 weeks so I don't think they would exchange the bigger one.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:24PM
Gooster

I agree imho they will be too big. One will work, but two will overwhelm the space. They may be clear, but visually they are like large cages that take up volume. 11" is nearly a third of your island width and 22" is over a third of your length

This post was edited by gooster on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 13:30

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:28PM
ds945

I looked up the dimensions again and they are 10 1/4 inch which I believe is at the top, they curve in and are probably 8 or 9 inches wide at the bottom. Does that make a difference?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 5:26PM
ck_squared

I think your island is too small for 2 pendants unless they are mini pendants.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 9:53AM
laurajane02

My island is 4.5 ft x 4 ft and my 2 pendants are 5 in wide. I think the ones you've chosen are nice, but too large for your island.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:02AM
ds945

Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board for me. I will look for smaller pendants.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:04PM
iroll_gw

Here's a similar, smaller version (but it does have glass panes):

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Gull Lighting 2 Light Foyer Pendant

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 3:02PM
ds945

Thanks everyone. Have decided to go smaller. Thanks for the sea gull pendant suggestion - it is now a contender.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
Help w/ Bosch convection microwave auto chef settings
I needed a new microwave. Didn't need this fancy thing,...
rebunky
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Help me with my Appliance Allowance - $15k
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™