Cabinets & Painting

BrandyChachJuly 14, 2013

We just moved into a new house 2 weeks ago. PO painted the cabinets are dark red-orange that I despise. Since moving in we replaced the bottom cabs because they were falling apart, the tops are in good shape just painted ugly. So as of now bottom cabs are unfinished, tops red-orange paint. We are having Steel Gray granite installed soon ( templating being done Monday) and the backsplash is staying. Painting the walls SW Meander. My question..what do to with cabs? And what products? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Barbarav

Brandy, I just finished painting my cabinets. It's a tedious process that requires patience due to the wait times between coats. But it's very doable and satisfying, especially when you hate the original color of your cabinets. After a lot of sanding and deglossing, I used a few coats of zinzzer oil- based primer followed by a custom soft white in SW Proclassic satin. IMHO, I think they look beautiful. I first did the pantry about a year ago, and the paint has held up really well with hard use. I don't know the color meander, so don't know your color pallet, but I think a soft gray cabinet would look great with the granite and backsplash, both of which are very pretty by the way. You could also go white or even black, depending what the rest of your place looks like. Hope that helps.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:59PM
BrandyChach

I was thinking of white on top, black on bottom. But I'm not sure what paint or stain to use. Originally I was thinking of using the rusteloum cabinet transformations but have read bad reviews of it and with two kids and a dog, I don't want something that will look banged up in a year. Meander is like a light blue/ teal.
Really I just would like opinions on what others have done and if anyone thinks I should strip the top cabs first before sanding and priming.

This post was edited by BrandyChach on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 21:22

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:12PM
tbo123

I'm no pro or anything and maybe someone else can chime in but, using an oil based anything when painting white might not be a good idea as it will tend to yellow over time.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™