Installation order: cabinets, counter, backsplash

kendrahroseJuly 11, 2013

Hello,

We are reinstalling our shaker cabinets with new countertops (likely reclaimed wood) and a new backsplash, probably heritage subway tiles. What order is the normal installation of cabinets, counters, and backsplash?

My contractor said it was in that order. But when we were doing demolition, I noticed that the old kitchen had a backsplash that extended down the wall well below the countertop height. I assume the backsplash was installed first in that instance. What is most ususal? Is there a need to have backsplash extend behind the counter? Its seems a waste of expensive tile to me but maybe I am missing something.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbuilder

Your contractor is correct. Who knows why the previous owner did it that way? Maybe they left an old backsplash and put it new cabinets or counter that came out at a different height.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakuvall

Cabinets counter backsplash is correct
Leave enough gap between splash and counter to get caulk in there, not grout- 3/16 to 1/4
Since you have wood counter leave a small gap at wall to allow movement and attach to cabinets allowing movement. Oversize hole in cabinet, screw with washer thru it to counter.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
Need advice on Backsplash
I am a chef and caterer--I'm just finishing up a large...
avolab
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™