Cut granite for larger cooktop?

d5kennJuly 20, 2013

Has anyone had an existing granite countertop cut to upgrade a 30" cooktop to a 36" or larger? What's involved with getting this done and what's a ballpark price?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The cabinet below the cooktop has to be a 36" or larger for this to occur as it's walls support the weight of the granite. If that's already in place, then it's a filthy dirty mess that will require that you create a plastic tent around the whole area and use a vacuum while it happens. And you'll still be cleaning up abrasive dust from everything. It can get into your drawer slides and ruin them. I recommend using the very sticky Saran wrap to wrap them completely after you remove the drawers themselves. Yes, I'd do it to the entire kitchen. Did I mention that the dust goes everywhere?

It could cost anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to a thousand or so depending on the auxiliary work needed to be sure the granite is properly supported or if it cracks during the cutting process and needs to be repaired with epoxy. No granite fabricator will take responsibility for the granite possibly breaking either. You'll have to sign a waiver stating that you were informed that was a possibility and that you hold them blameless should that happen.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
d5kenn

There is indeed a 36" cabinet underneath. But it sounds like this is going to be a complete mess. Hmm...anything else I'm missing that I should consider before taking this kind of plunge?

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Silestone lena
Has anyone used Silestone "Lena" quartz in...
magnoliahome205
What do you think of leathered surfaces? and why?
So I did my first foray into a granite yard today....
lawjedi
Fabricator questions
We were just told that the fabricator our contractor...
tea4all
Brickton's Finished Kitchen
We started our house in the fall of 2011 and moved...
brickton
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Sponsored Products
New Tortoise Shell Lantern Pendant
$394.00 | Bellacor
Serena D'italia Lamps 25 in. Tiffany Dragonfly Bronze Table Lamp with Lit Base
Home Depot
Avanity Windsor 48" Bathroom Vanity - Walnut
Modern Bathroom
Big Bang Pendant
Lightology
Vigo Single Lever Liquid Gold Glass Disc in Oil Rubbed Bronze Waterfall Faucet
Overstock.com