Is it dumb to be my own general contractor?
I contacted a general contractor who did some work for me previously. It's been two weeks and he hasn't got back to me with a quote. Actually, I'm glad he hasn't got back to me.
I really wanted to know what things would cost so I called a tile setter to see what the tile would cost me. Not only are their rates less expensive but they recommended that I lay the tile down over cement rather than the cement board the GC talked about.
I know I need the following to get started:
- Porcelain tile in the kitchen and foyer (existing vinyl and linoleum in these spaces)
- Cabinets removed and new cabinets installed
- Gas line for stove (currently using electric)
- Water line for refrigerator
- New trim work
- New countertop & sink installed
- Appliances installed
The only thing I don't know is what needs to be done in what order.
Is it dumb to handle this on my own or should I find another general contractor?