'Linen' look tile - larger format

Alice JohannenJuly 2, 2012

Hi, all. Our kitchen reno is slated for August, and now that we're done choosing the cabinets (Ikea Adel, Medium Brown), we've moved on to other decisions. I trust this forum for EVERYTHING, so I figured I would come to you for some advice on tile.

I very much like the look of larger-format tiles for a backsplash (no small mosaics for me), but am having some trouble figuring out exactly what to look for. Should I try to find an 8x12 tile? Or find a 12x12 or 12x24 and cut it down? I found this one (Emser Strand), which I quite like (at least I like the picture). It's 12x24 and I could have it cut in thirds so it's 8x12. It's pretty inexpensive, so this would be great if it's possible. Although now that I think of it, this solution would make the "threads" run vertically instead of horizontally. Hmm. How would I know if cutting it in thirds would work? Would it need to be "through-body" porcelain or whatever that's called?

Do you have any leads on approx 8x12 (or 6x10 ... just bigger than 4x8 please) tile that's sort of linen-ish?

Many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Emser tile

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahacca

Daltile Fabrique line
http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=228
Click on "Tile sizes" They have 4x24 and 6x24 and it is a colorbody porcelain, so is colored throughout.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:32AM
writersblock

That's a very cool tile, but I don't think I would chop it up, just use it the original size to minimize grout lines (and the grout lines as small as possible). And I wouldn't do a running bond pattern or anything like that. Just MHO.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:36AM
Angie_DIY

Some good information on this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: cut-your-own large format subways?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:38AM
Alice Johannen

Thank you! I had seen the Daltile and like it quite a lot, but I didn't know until now it came in 6x24 (through their "Linear Options" choice, it looks like). I am not sure about whether 24" is a bit too wide. Would that look weird in a kitchen?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:01PM
bahacca

It would depend on how long your runs are, how the tile itself is stacked, if there are interruptions in the tile from windows, etc. If you have relatively long runs, I actually think it will look quite striking.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:30PM
may_flowers

Crossville has a similar look in their Color Blox Too line. It's a painted linear pattern and it comes in 6 x 12. They have about eight different colors.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:54PM
beeps

I have a sample of the Fabrique from Daltile that is very pretty and it does come in narrower widths as Bahacca pointed out. There are actually a lot of tiles out there with a linear feel to them now, including some of the wood-look ones that don't really look like wood and if on a backsplash wouldn't look at all like wood. There is also a Silk Road tile that has that linear feel and comes in 10x20. http://bedrosians.com/catalog/m=Porcelain/s=Silk_Road

If I were going to cut the tile you have I would cut them into 6x24 lengths rather than cut them into thirds the other way. A lot of things are showing running the linear tiles vertically, but I'd think you would want to run this horizontally also. As for whether the 12x24 would work, I'd think your backsplash would have to be at least 36" high to make that work - so that you would have at least 3 rows of tile. If less than that then I would cut the tile such that you had at least 3 rows. Just my thought...

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:58PM
remodelfla

kinda hard to see the texture in this pic but I have this in my bathroom

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 2:08PM
Alice Johannen

Beeps and others, thanks for the input. I agree, a 12" height wouldn't work well, because it would end up being 1.5 tiles high in an 18" backsplash. I'd rather do a tile that's either 6" high or 9" high. I like minimal grouting, so 3 rows of 6" is probably what I would end up with. We do have one very long run that the 24" length might look good on. I'll have to see what my husband thinks about that. His reaction to the 12x24" tile was "It's the size of a dinner tray!" LOL

I also agree that a running bond pattern would not be good. I would plan to just stack them (or whatever that's called). :-)

What does anyone think of turning them so they're vertical behind the range? Would that look silly? The range is in our very long run, so it would break up the horizontal highway.

I am going to visit a tile place that carries the Daltile and see if they have a sample of this for me to borrow. Our cabinets get delivered tomorrow, so I will finally have a sample door to start holding things up to.

Does anyone have pictures (or know where there are some) of larger format tile in kitchen backsplashes?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 2:35PM
mom2sethc

Hello,

I have Stonepeak Ceramics Parkland Acadia tile in 6 x 24. Mine makes me think of black suede, I LOVE it! It is a rectified porcelain. Here are some pics of my backsplash.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:01PM
Cateskitchen

Have you looked at the Infusion tiles by American Olean? They come in the sizes you are looking for and are a color-body tile... Just thought you might like an additional brand to look at.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: American Olean Infusion Tiles

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:45PM
Alice Johannen

Well, I went to the local flooring store, which mentioned Daltile on its website, but they didn't have ANY. Boo! On the other hand, they did have a nice American Olean - Antissa - which I liked. The saleswoman was helping other customers so I never had a chance to talk to her about it, but at least I know it's out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antissa tile

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:42AM
remodelfla

Gee... I never embedded the pic!

and further way . Still kinda hard to see the pattern

We have it installed in a stacked also known as a soldier pattern.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 9:42AM
Alice Johannen

Remodelfla, that's gorgeous! Is that the Fabrique? And thank you for letting me know that stacked = soldier so I don't sound like a moron when I tell the contractor what I want. LOL

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:44PM
remodelfla

yes... I believe it is the Fabrique in white. And thanks! It does look great and everyone who sees it comments on how beautiful the bathroom looks. Now if we would only finish up all the little touches that still need to be done...

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:48PM
cchenault

what kind of floor did you put down to go with this? I am considering a linen look tile too

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 5:11PM
likewhatyoudo

remodelfla - Very pretty tile work. I found this thread on a search for linen tile. How have you liked them now 2 years later? Are they difficult to clean? I am thinking of using them in my master bath remodel for the bath floors and the walls of the shower.

Bookmark   November 11, 2014 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
top cutlery tray on Kitchen Aid Dishwasher
Is the extra (3rd) cutlery tray on the higher model...
ladypie
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Sponsored Products
CPL T1 Table Lamp by Prandina
$640.00 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Citrus Bold Stripe Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Swarovski Lighting | Crystalline Icicles Triple Ceiling Light
YLighting
Doilies Blue Wallpaper R1786, double roll
Walls Republic