where to find similar backsplash

katmommaJuly 13, 2013

Hello,
Im apologizing in advance if this posts twice.
We are building a new house and im using this kitchen as my inspiration for cabinets, counters and backsplash. Houzz.com says the backsplash is "mizu" by walker zanger. I think it is Discontinued since i cannot find it anywhere online. Does anyone know of a similar looking backsplash ? Thanks!-

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katmomma

Woops! Here is the pic

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 11:16AM
gigibozo

One of my favorites too. So if anyone know, I'd be very interested.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 12:06PM
sas95

Mizu is definitely discontinued. We have it in one of our bathrooms and bought among the last of it at a closeout price almost 3 years ago.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:16PM
williamsem

That pic gets posted a lot around here, always with sadness that it is no longer available. So pretty, it's really a shame.

I know the grazia rixi melange is a tile with nice variation, not sure if it's what you are looking for. Maybe if you can add what aspects you love someone will have a suggestion? I'm always amazed at how quickly people come up with awesome tile suggestions.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:20PM
jennifer11203

I was in HD and saw a similar tile today. They were called sandy beach mosaic made by daltile.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:32PM
jennifer11203

Here's another picture.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:33PM
sas95

That HD tile is not similar at all to the Mizu. The Mizu tiles are glossy ceramic crackles, and mostly shades of light blue and green. Those HD tiles look like some sort of imitation stone.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:26PM
jennifer11203

Ok sas95 no need to get crazy! I just saw a similar looking tile today and posted it I never actually went and looked up mizu. And from a distance they do look similar. Just trying to help out.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:49PM
SparklingWater

I've always loved the WZ Mizu backsplash also, with the variation of glaze on the tiles themselves (at least that is how it appears to me). You know, sometimes when enough write in to a manufacturer asking them to produce a similar product, they will take it under consideration. Takes time though.

I'm focusing on The Complete Tile Vermeere line possibly for our BS. I've looked at a lot of tiles, and their glossy or crackle ceramics come in a wide variety of distinguished greens and blues. They spray the gloss on their hand made tiles, which yields some variation in color tone on a single tile but none vary a lot. Still, a worthy line if you're considering color tiles. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Tile Vermeere link:

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 22:32

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:14PM
laurajane02

Would a ming green marble backsplash be a possibility? THat's what I thought your tile was at first. Mpagmom used a sunflower mosaic version for her backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ming green marble Houzz

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:18PM
Holly- Kay

Sparkling, the Vermeere crackle is lovely. Do you have any idea on price?

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:28PM
SparklingWater

I read it is their most popular line, and I believe it was $13.99/sf. Best check though.

It is lovely isn't it? I thank GW for mentioning it in a post. Might be worth a trip to NYC to see in person-love NYC.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:34PM
katmomma

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I really love the Ming green marble and the Vermeer crackle as well. I will definitely be looking into those. I loved the color variation of the mizu. It is a good accent to the white cabinets but still subtle and classy looking that its not overpowering or anything .

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:16PM
chispa

Pratt and Larson has glossy crackle tiles. I used a mix of matte and glossy in an arabesque. The color I used is a beige/butter color so the variations within each tile aren't as pronounced as they would be in a darker color.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:41PM
snookums2

Grazia carries (affordable) craquelle tiles that are hand glazed but I don't know the colors if you are specifically looking for a gray blue green.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:52PM
Holly- Kay

Thank you so much Sparkling. That is a very reasonable price!

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:54PM
robinle

I too have always loved the Mizu tile by Walker Zanger. Does anyone know what size tiles they were? They are just so pretty in the picture.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:05AM
mpagmom

The tiles look to be 2x4. I would caution you about using ming green tiles unless you can sort out the ones with too much variation. Some are very light and some are very dark, so it won't give you the serene look of the Mizu tile.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:25AM
soibean

katmomma - have a look at Heath tiles. Their handmade ceramic tiles have natural variation in color that will achieve the look in that photo (I used it as inspiration as well). Their tiles have a variability "rating" to indicate how variable the color will be in the finished product. I picked a tile with a high variability rating because I wanted that effect.

This will give you a sense of how a single color looks when it is highly variable:

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:31AM
sas95

Robinle, the Mizu tiles are 2x5.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:39AM
erhm

I also love that Houzz photo featuring the Mizu tiles and had it marked as an inspiration photo. We ended up going with Solistone Mardi Gras tile in Carrollton. It's a glass mini-brick and the tiles are actually uniform, but they have a subtle stripe that results in a variegated look that I love. A couple of pictures are attached. Because it's glass it's a little more contemporary/modern, but I think it's subtle enough to work in a variety of different styles.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:12PM
pghgolfgirl

How about Jeffrey Court Irish Ice, particularly in either Cork or Limerick?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court Irish Ice

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 2:41PM
katmomma

Soibean and erhm your kitchens are beautiful! Do you remember roughly how much per sq ft you paid for your backsplashes?

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 4:37PM
michoumonster

the walker zanger ashbury line also has a very nice crackle finish and variation. i have always loved the colors of WZ tiles, they are so sophisticated!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:58PM
maxee123

I am thinking that Fireclay Tile may offer some excellent options as well.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:41PM
soibean

Here is a link to the pricing - not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Keep in mind that the tiles are made to order (unless you choose from their modern basics line, which is cheaper but has very limited color and size choices). I coveted their dimensional tiles but couldn't stomach the price of those. They also sell overstock tiles for less; it pays to check from time to time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Field Tile

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:14AM
erhm

We got our Solistone Mardi Gras tile in Carrollton for about $25/square foot (including shipping). It's available from several different online sellers--we found the best price from Wayfair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayfair

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Bungalow galley kitchen layout
Hello GW'ers! I'm new to the forum and have been so...
motok1w
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Sponsored Products
61" Granite Vanity Top with Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Sample-Paradigm Diamond White Carrera and Mirror Marble and Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Surface Mount Tiles: Shanko Building Materials 210 Lacquer Finish Steel 2 ft. x
$33.23 | Home Depot
Dayton Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Virtu GS-50048-WMSQ-ES-002 48 Wood Vanity in Espresso with Faucet
Blue Bath
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Paris Flower Market 17 in.
Home Depot
61" Marble Vanity Backsplash
Signature Hardware
Pegasus Bathroom 25 in. Granite Vanity Top in Blue Pearl with White Basin 25905
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™