Quality but not custom kitchen cabinets?

adambeck7July 1, 2012

The price of Home Depot/Lowes cabinets is about right but we're more than slightly concerned with the quality. Has anyone used the HD/Lowes cabinets? Anyone have a brand to recommend (that's available near Boulder, CO)? Obviously we'd love custom cabinets but since the stock cabinets measured just right so we can't really justify the cost unless we won't be able to find quality stock cabinets. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CKGM

We have Diamond cabinets but purchased them through an independent dealer so I am not sure the quality is the same as HD/ Lowes. The ones we got were perfect and the customer service from the company was excellent. I love the look we got for the price and so far seem very well made.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:26AM
CKGM

We have Diamond cabinets but purchased them through an independent dealer so I am not sure the quality is the same as HD/ Lowes. The ones we got were perfect and the customer service from the company was excellent. I love the look we got for the price and so far seem very well made.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:44AM
loves2cook4six

I had my cabinets custom made (by a fantastic Amish company that does ship nationwide) and it cost less than some of the lines at big box stores.

I also got the exact layout I wanted, not one filler and no dead space. Everything I asked for, even if they had never done it before, was discussed, brainstormed and ultimately received and met every expectation. My kitchen is unique, both in style and finish and I could NEVER have done that in a big box store.

So don't discount custom because of price but do your homework. Not every custom cabinet maker does quality work.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 12:25PM
adambeck7

What was the name of the Amish company?

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 12:50PM
breezygirl

I agree with L2C. Custom doesn't always equal outrageously priced or highest quality. There are some bad custom makers out there. Conversely, big box doesn't always equal the lowest price or low quality. Get many quotes from both, and determine the quality (from reviews, seeing custom work IRL, construction methods, etc). Then decide. I found a great custom cab maker whose price was equal to the big box store, but whose quality and my ability to customize was far superior. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:11PM
loves2cook4six

The company we used was Ayr Cabinetry out of Nappanee Indiana. Ask for Ken.

Fantastic service and best quality product. Our kitchen is on the Finished Kitchen Blog if you want to have a look

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:21PM
amritakaur

IKEA. Huge bang for the buck. Somewhere I read that they're ranked #3 in the country, for 1/3 the price of the #2 ranked cabinets, and 1/5 the price of #1. They have a twenty-five year warranty. They come with Blum hardware. They're also "green", i.e. no toxic chemicals offgassing from the wood products and glues used.

I just had my kitchen redone with IKEA cabs and couldn't be happier.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:30PM
loves2cook4six

The company we used was Ayr Cabinetry out of Nappanee Indiana. Ask for Ken.

Fantastic service and best quality product. Our kitchen is on the Finished Kitchen Blog if you want to have a look

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:45PM
aries61

I received a quote from Ayr Cabinetry and for me they were one of the higher priced quotes.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 2:21PM
adambeck7

Yea we definitely plan on shopping around for quotes but haven't closed on the place yet so I was just putting out feelers if anyone had any good makers. We're in Boulder, CO if anyone has any local rec's. good to hear about IKEA too since we had been considering them.

Lovestocook - thanks for that. kitchen looks nice.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 2:44PM
amritakaur

IKEA has independent contractors who, for a fee, can do the measuring, design and installation for you. The one they recommended charged me $50 to come out and take precise measurements. I already had a plan, knew what I wanted, but found IKEA's design software a bit difficult to use. So for an additional $100 this contractor did all of that for me. He sent me drawings for my approval. We went back and forth several times. He was a pleasure to work with.

When I was satisfied, he wrote up the entire order for me down to every last component. All I did was take the shopping list down to IKEA and place the order. IKEA delivered it (in zillions of pieces), the contractors put it all together and installed it in a day and a half. It was well worth the money, IMO.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 3:27PM
caryscott

Might depend on style and layout but if you have full overlay with face frame cabinetry or frameless you almost always will have fillers whether you are using custom or stock cabinetry. If as you indicate you have a layout that works with standard measurements then you should look into stock cabinetry as it is very possible you could save quite a bit of money. Custom indicates how the cabinets are manufactured not their quality.In some markets you can get semi-custom lines like Kraftmaid for the cost of custom but most stock lines will be cheaper. My condo is strewn with Ikea boxes with my future cabinets in them. For me they are good quality and like you my layout doesn't require custom sizes but others will tell you they are not a quality product - you have to decide for yourself where you want to draw that line.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 4:01PM
marcy96

I used Schuler (Medallion) from Lowe's and I am very happy with the quality.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:21PM
suzanne_sl

I used InnerMost from HD and am more than happy.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:36PM
petuniatwelve

Ours are Shuler from Lowes. We are very happy with them.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 6:29PM
adambeck7

thank you all so much for the help!

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:20AM
Adrienne61

Hi,

Am looking for the name of an Amish cabinet maker in Arthur, IL. There are several, can anyone recommend one over another?

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 2:52PM
mrsjoe

I agree about shopping around. Home depot bid about $9000 for my kitchen in Maple with full overlay (WITH all their "specials"). I was able to find two different custom cabinet shops who would do my kitchen in Walnut, a much pricier wood, for $9000. For maple, they wanted about $7000.

If you are really budget conscience, there are less expensive stock cabinets than available at Lowes or Home Depot at independent cabinet shops. Do a search on Gardenweb to look for comparisons of the quality and price of different brands they might carry.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 6:24PM
senator13

We did Schuller (Lowe's) for our bathroom vanities. Overall, I think they are the best that HD or Lowe's has to offer.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 7:48PM
CabbyGirl1010

There is a fairly new product line at HD called InnerMost. It's a reasonably priced product, great quality and can be customized quite a bit. It's the best quality that you'll find in the home centers, manufactured by Elkay. the same company that makes Schuler.. DEFINATELY CHECK THEM OUT.. A Friend of mine just did her kitchen and it's GORGEOUS..

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
WHITE cabinets with WHITE Bertazzoni range??
In the planning stages of a major kitchen reno. I've...
enzaenza
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Sponsored Products
"Courtly Check" Sugar Bowl
$64.00 | Horchow
Vortex Pendant by LBL Lighting
$268.00 | Lumens
Pro-Temp Commercial Thermometer
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Shaker Series 24-inch Natural Finish 2.5-inch Deep Inside On The Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Tulip Armchair in Blue
$179.99 | Dot & Bo