best way to clean shiny laminate countertops?

planningnutJuly 6, 2008

hello! our kitchen is finally done and installed (pics to follow soon!) and I have these gorgeous shiny black laminate countertops that I have no idea how to clean... I tried dish soap & water and it left a streaky mess...

help!

thanks

cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitchdesj

microfiber cloth, barely wet, no soap.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 10:33AM
rhome410

I agree with mitchdesj...No soap. Too hard to get completely cleaned off. Just water or some kind of spray on kitchen cleaner/disinfectant if/when necessary. But ALWAYS dry as you wipe to get rid of streaks. I didn't have microfiber when we had our shiny laminate, so don't know if that would change the process of having a damp rag in one hand and a dry towel in the other when washing the counters.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 1:09PM
brutuses

In a spray bottle mix 1/2 rubbing alcohol, 1/2 water and a couple of drops of dish soap. Use with a mircrrofibre cloth. This is what I use for all shiny surfaces, windows, mirrors, etc. For more ideas pose your question on the cleaning forum.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 1:17PM
dian57

I use 1/2 water, 1/2 clear ammonia in a spray bottle to clean just about everything in the house. I tint it blue with food coloring to make it easier to see.

A microfiber cloth helps enormously.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 5:44AM
gardenwebber

I have this stuff called "Countertop Magic" and it comes in a spray bottle. It is a sort of milky/pasty consistency, and you spray it onto your formica and rub it in with a cloth, then wipe it off with a 2nd cloth. It reminds me of the concept of waxing a car. It works great. I just used it on an old piece of black glossy formica to freshen it up and now it looks great.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 4:38PM
live_wire_oak

Microfiber cloths. BTW, be very very careful with sliding anything across your counter, or with having debris caught in your cloth when you wipe it. The plain glossy laminate finishes are very delicate, and the laminate manufacturer's do not recommend gloss finishes for horizontal applications, even though countertops fabricators create countertops out of them. They scratch horribly, and, as you've discovered, show every water spot or swirl from cleaning. I make sure I inform any potential customers of these drawbacks when considering a new laminate countertop, and it's rare that any choose the glossy finish after seeing a 2 year old example in our showroom that is scratched to heck and back.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Left/Right/Center & Related Hand & Faucet Questions
I've searched & read countless threads here over...
Carrie B
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™