Which Comes First - Painting Walls or Installing Cabinets?

kitchenkrazed09July 30, 2010

Which usually is done first? Are the kitchen walls and ceiling painted before the cabinets are installed? If the cabinets are installed first, are the walls and ceiling at least primed beforehand? Our kitchen was gutted down to the studs and all new sheetrock will be installed along with crown molding. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveinorlado

I always have my guys prime and paint the walls and ceilings first. You get a much better job that way. Then after the cabinet install is done go back and touch up. You get a more professional job that way most of the time.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:01AM
blackcats13

We gutted ours as well and put up new drywall. DH primed all walls and ceiling, maybe twice? I'm not sure, but I know new drywall soaks up a lot of paint. Then we painted before the cabs went in. I just thought it would be easier than worrying about getting paint on the cabs. I'll do touchup after things are done.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 2:17PM
remodelfla

We painted before.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 2:19PM
kleekai

We painted before and will do touch ups after everything is completed.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 3:04PM
paintergirl94

Either way is fine, sometimes it just comes down to scheduling.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 4:54PM
rnest44

If you know what color you want, it might be easier to paint first so you save all the cutting around the cabinets. We primed the new drywall before the cabinets went in but I still haven't painted! Just did yet another set of sample boards today.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 7:42PM
jsweenc

Our painter wanted to be very last. He said installers and others would come and ding up his work, and he knew he and his crew would be careful and would clean up their mess. We know him well and trusted him on it. If you know your painter, I'd go with what he says. (If your painter is you, probably painting first is easier.)

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:10PM
cooksnsews

In my reno, ALL the trades wanted to be the last in. No one wanted to have to be careful of damaging anyone else's work. Heck, no one even wanted to shake the mud off their boots before entering!

Ultimately, the painter was in several times to remediate. The last time, he had to deal with the bloodstains the vent installer left on the ceiling.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:21PM
kitchenkrazed09

Thanks for all the responses. I probably should have mentioned that I'm planning to hire a painter and was trying to figure out when each contractor should be scheduled. I was leaning toward having the painter come in last because I was afraid the cabinet installation would ruin the paint job. Does it matter if the cabinets are hung on bare drywall without any primer?

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:32PM
annesv

My painter recommended priming first so you're not installing cabinets over your dusty sheetrock. I asked my GC and he said in his experience people do this 50% of the time. The other 50% they do it right over the sheetrock. We decided to prime first.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 11:15PM
cienza

Prime, paint then cabinetry. Prime the entire wall even if cabinetry covers. Two gallons of paint: $60; cabinetry for the room: thousands - sure would hate to have to mask brand new cabinetry for splatter, drips and overspray to avoid ruining it. Besides, the paint will go on alot faster, alot smoother and then there's the whole mess thing - painting = mess. I didn't want that mess anywhere near our new cabinetry.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 12:30AM
paintergirl94

Again, can be either way. I always opt for priming everything, even behind cabinets. But ask your painter how he prefers to work. He'll probably want to be last in, but maybe he'll come in to prime, and then as soon as cabinets are up, he (or she) can paint.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Kitchen Layout help... Need opinions.
I am about to start building my house... Very excited...
adrituerk
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Faucet Finish
So, I've done many searches, and read dozens of GW...
Carrie B
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™