How would you trim these windows?

MichKerkJuly 29, 2013

Nearing the end of our kitchen reno and trying to figure out how to trim the two windows over the sink. Prior to demo, they were treated as two separate windows with wide moldings (original to house) leaving a small space in between that had backsplash. I was thinking of trimming them as if they were one unit, but I'm not sure how it would look. The space between them is about 13 inches. What would you do? Here is a current pic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I would decide on what you are doing with the backsplash first. On a project where the whole sink elevation was tiled, we tiled all around the windows and they had no wood trim at all, for example. Or, if it's a shorter backsplash, how the bottom of it ties into the window sills could be important.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:01AM
millworkman

Trim them each individually as that is to much space for single trimmed units.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:01AM
MichKerk

Thanks for the feedback! The trim including back band measures 4 3/8. The backsplash will be white subway tile that will only go to cabinet height. The reason I was considering trimming them together is because it looked kind of weird with a few tiles in between previously. But I also don't know if it will look weird trimmed together.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:12AM
live_wire_oak

I get that it looked weird with just a small piece in between. But I think it would look weirder to have a really wide trim piece in between the two. What about making the trim a lot narrower than the rest of the home? Or, use some type of decorative ceramic chair rail as trim instead of wood. As in making the whole wall ceramic? Including the sill. That would fit an old fashioned and modern kitchen vibe all at once.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:49AM
MichKerk

Just wanted to thank you all for the responses. We decided to trim them as single windows and deal with the tile in between. Livewire - I did appreciate all of the photos you attached for ideas.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 8:42AM
RoRo67

Why don't you consider putting shelves between the two windows? Not deep ones, but maybe 5" or so. It would give you a place for small pots of spices? Then you can trim the entire two windows as one unit and it will not look odd.

This post was edited by RoRo67 on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 13:43

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 1:40PM
elphaba_gw

A couple more pictures that might help if you are still interested:
Sort of as someone suggested above, a VERY narrow little plate rack here, a kind of narrow vertical wall shelf unit would be nice, perhaps?

Contemporary Kitchen by San Francisco General Contractors Mascheroni Construction

A soffit or short horizontal open shelf above both might help tie them together as one and still be good if you frame each window separately

Other

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 4:12PM
gpraceman55

How are the other windows in your house trimmed? You may want to duplicate that trim for a more cohesive look.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
New Caesarstone Frosty Carrina & London Gray light marble looks
It seems these aren't in the states as yet but they...
blondelle
1880s house kitchen: need to work in the current space
Note this is cross-posted at suggestion of a reader Plans...
islandgarden
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Granite Install Advice, Which Support System is Better?
Which of these two mechanical support systems would...
athomesewing
Horizontal uppers
Has anyone designed or installed horizontal uppers...
tigger9759
Sponsored Products
Empire Six-Light Gold Finish with Clear-Crystals Chandelier
$398.00 | Bellacor
Talista Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Black Lantern with Clear Beveled Glass
$70.92 | Home Depot
Sumba Black/Brown 6-Drawer Jewelry Armoire
Overstock.com
White Linen Shade Dark Bronze Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Green / Natural 8 ft.
Home Depot
Chasse Bamboo Tub Shelf
Signature Hardware
Italian Wormwood Game Table with Staunton Walnut Chessmen - CB194
$699.99 | Hayneedle
Cake Tray - Yellow
| Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™