Fragile Granite?

kelvarJuly 24, 2009

I've seen references before to certain granites being too fragile? Not sure why, but does anyone know of which ones you should stay away from? Do they have a tendency to chip or crack? Is it due to too much mica in them? If a granite has a mesh backing, does that mean it needs the support and therefore is a fragile granite? I'd like to compile a list of granites that I should avoid.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southernstitcher

See the below link for fabulous information on granite right here at GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite info

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1

Granite with mesh on the back does mean it is more prone to breaking. But once the granite is installed, it's perfectly fine. My granite is Delicatus which is actually black-balled by some installers. They don't like fabricating it because it is so prone to breakage during the fabrication process. But once it is installed, it is as stable as any other granite. You obviously don't want to bang on granite with a hammer or stand on it, but I don't think the exotic "fragile" granites are any thing to be frightened of once they are installed. My granite is seamed at the sinks and cooktop. To strengthen those areas, they "rodded" it. What that means is they carved out a groove on the back side in the more fragile areas, inserted a steel rod and then filled the grove with epoxy. this makes the thin areas in front of the sinks much stronger. Granite with a lot of mica in it is more prone to chipping (delicatus has a lot of mica) but I just look at the beauty of the exotic stones and understand that this is a gorgeous work of are created by God and I am willing to overlook any minor chips. Besides....they can always be filled with epoxy and I'll never see them.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Anyone have solid walnut slab cabinets?
Howdy! We're trying to decide if we want to do walnut...
Fori is not pleased
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???
I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next...
eleena
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™