Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma - White or Brown?

MzKizJuly 1, 2013

We have just closed on an open floor plan ranch-style house with a really poorly laid out kitchen which we will be gutting. We also will be ripping out the dated-looking white tile with black grout line flooring and replacing it with travertine-like porcelain tile.

When I look at kitchen pictures on Houzz, I tend to gravitate towards white shaker kitchens. The problem is, our great room furniture consists of med. brown leather seating, Stickley mission-style coffee & end tables and a vintage oak dining room table & chairs.

When I try to envision a white kitchen with the browns of our furniture and flooring, I just can't see how it would look good. The only thing that might help would be using a darker wood for the bar which would serve as a transition into the rest of the living area. Should I just forget about white kitchens and start concentrating on finding a natural wood color?

Looking for thoughts from the GW community on this!

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aloha2009

We have this same problem too and have decided to go with a wood look. Though white can look nice, for us the wood seemed to flow better between the areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of OPEN Kitchens to the Only Living Area Needed

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 7:35

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:33AM
laurajane02

I think that with white cabinets in an open area, you would want to repeat the use of that color throughout the open area. I would use a creamier white to begin with, and maybe paint out a couple pieces of (cheaper) wood furniture in the same color. You could also add white/cream pillows, ottoman or other upholstered piece, window coverings, etc.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:47AM
nosoccermom

You could use a darker floor or darker countertops and also bring white/cream into the great room. Also, could you have whatever floor i sin your great room also in your kitchen?
Couple of pictures:

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:28AM
MzKiz

Thanks for the input - if I would be using hardwood floors throughout the house, as in the posted pics,I think I would be less concerned about the white cabinets but the house is in Florida, on the water, so we will be using a travertine-like tile so the color will be a very light beige. The 2nd pic with the dark wood island shows more of what I was thinking could work to transition the white cabinets into the great room with the brown furniture.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:15AM
lannegreene

What color is the trim in your living room? I think if kitchen cabinets are painted the same color as the trim in the other areas, that helps keep it unified. If you have stained trim, I think it will be more difficult to blend.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:49PM
nosoccermom

I think a darker wood for the bar would be great.

Other options:
darker counters
maybe wood counter?

or maybe some dark upper frames, like these:

darker backsplash

darker chairs/stools

also cream not stark white.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™