Utrusta (electric push latch) on non-Ikea cabs?

Marc JohnsonJuly 19, 2014

I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting the $130 electric push-latch from Ikea to work on non-ikea cabs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kksmama

Yes, love mine. The cabinet installers had a really hard time figuring out how to do it, but they work great. Probably worthwhile to look at instructions, look up Blum instructions, youtube videos, etc..

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 6:05AM
Marc Johnson

Thx- I knew someone here must have tried !

I'm looking at my recycle can drawer - it looks like the rail is more towards the top and not bottom like on all of the Blum and Ikea vids :( may have to live without because I didn't think of this ahead of time?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:04PM
kksmama

Here are a couple pictures of mine, notice that it was mounted high on the back wall of the cabinet by putting a piece of wood in there because my rail is also towards the top. I think the critical part is making sure there is electric in the cabinet and that someone figures out how to do the adjustments so it works well.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 2:49PM
brightm

Does it just push the 'drawer' from the back?

I think my dog would open it, but I may add an outlet and try it. Monday is the last day to make that call, I'd say.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:28PM
kksmama

You bump it, which makes the little arm push it out. I think it would be easy for dogs to master, especially if well and sensitively installed. See video evidence and fair warning: the song could get stuck in your head! My dogs are little, and mine is not as well installed, so that isn't a factor for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: servo-drive video

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 5:54PM
Marc Johnson

kksmama- that's EXACTLY what my cabinet looks like.

That damn song is now burned into my head ... oh what an earworm!!!! What is it about Austrians and Germans that they come up with these little dittys (I have a trade show in Duseldorf every 4 years and they create a similar sounding ditty every time for it ... takes almost a year to get it out of my head!).

This gives me enough confidence to try it ... my compactor (yes, we're actuallly keeping it!) is next to it and has a foot pedal, so this will give us truly hands-free trash access!

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:01PM
dretutz

My dog would so love this--into the trash. Into the dog food drawer. Yippee. Who needs a thumb?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Zinc countertop anyone?
Hi. I'm doing a new kitchen and I have a medium-sized...
halgreene
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Where to sell zinc countertop??
Help! A dramatic error has resulted in my ownership...
halgreene
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™