Request for advice on mitered edge for 2cm carrara counter top

Sarah_in_SFJuly 26, 2014

Hi all,

I'm new here. :) I've purchased a 2cm slab of carrara to replace the existing granite in my kitchen and my fabricator is recommending a 1.5" mitered edge. I am realizing now that I prefer the look of a thinner edge, but the fabricator says that in order to cover up the 5/8 sub-top the 1.5" mitered edge will give the best result. Does anyone have any thoughts on this as far as other options? If the edge were, say, 1.25", it seems to me that you would only see the sub-top if you stooped down and looked for it, but maybe I'm off-base about that. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenwebnewbie

With the 5/8 plywood and the 2 cm slab thickness, that alone needs 1.41 inches of edge detail to cover it. Factor in glue, etc, and the junction where the plywood meets the cabinets, you're looking at over 1.5 inches needed to cover the edge.

Unless I am figuring it wrong, which could be entirely possible. :-)

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:50AM
Trebruchet

Sarah_in_SF:

If you prefer the look of the thinner edge, go for it. Eliminate the sub top; it is unnecessary. You'll save the cost of the plywood and the cost of the labor to miter and have the look you wanted anyway.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 6:44AM
cookncarpenter

I ran a small 3/8"x3/4" base shoe molding under the overhang to hide the edge of the plywood rough top.
I chose to keep the rough top, as I wanted to maintain the extra height it provided for my counter tops.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 9:07

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:59AM
Sarah_in_SF

Thanks so much for the responses. I like the idea of the shoe molding to hide the plywood--I'll definitely look into this since I don't want to lose the counter height by skipping the plywood all together.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:45PM
Linelle

Hi Sarah in SF. I have a daughter named Sarah who lives in SF. My favorite name and my favorite city. :)

In the Bay Area most slabs seem to be 2 cm with 5/8" plywood base. That's what I have in my kitchen. I have Caesarstone with a built-up eased edge.

I just had my guest bath remodeled. I went with carrara on my vanity. The vanity has a built-in flush top, so I didn't need the plywood. So I didn't need a built-up edge to obscure the plywood.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:41PM
Sarah_in_SF

Hi linelle :). I had heard that 2cm was the norm here (though I saw some 3cm carrara in a restaurant today and thought--I should've tried harder to find it! Love the idea of a flush top in order to hide the plywood, but I'm tall and hate the idea of losing that height.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 12:06AM
More Discussions
help with kitchen layout
Thoughts on this kitchen layout? What do you think...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
Framed beaded inset or frameless? Same price
I finally have decided on Cabinet wood and cabinet...
Traumanurse1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™