Can someone help me track down backsplash marble?

NatalieChantalJuly 22, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm finally getting ready to get my new kitchen done, the contractor crew is showing up on Monday! I'm so excited! There's only a few things left to finalize at this point, so the GC asked me to look into my backsplash as I know exactly what I want, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Can you experts help me out? I want a white marble backsplash made of flat, polished 1/2" x 2" tiles. My preference is for Bianco Carrara, but anything white with light grey veining is fine as long as it is mostly white, not grey.

Everywhere I look online or locally I can either find the color I want, but only in 1" x 2" tiles (which are too squat for my taste), or the size tiles I want but in a very greyish marble. For some reason I thought this would be pretty easy to find but nailing down this particular color and size combination is driving me to despair!

Does anyone have some good suggestions for me? I sure would appreciate it very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Perhaps 1 x 4's would give you the sleeker look you seem to want (and less grout, too.)

http://www.nystonemanhattan.com/sub_stone_catalog.asp?index=44&p_id=49

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:44AM
NatalieChantal

Thanks, I will keep those in mind but I really like the look of the mini-tiles and would prefer to find the 1/2" x 2" if possible. Surely they must be available somewhere?

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 9:14AM
catbuilder

Did you try Walker Zanger? They have a 5/8" x 3" in Imperial White polished.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:09AM
bahacca

Daltile has 5/8" x 4.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:07AM
kamkar2006

I know this is smaller than you wanted, but I think it comes in a larger size. I got the Carrara Bella 7/16x3/4 Mini Brick (P) from A.K.D.O for my master bed fireplace. It is supposed to be a lighter carrara with beige/gold tones and it is beautiful and subdued. This is the best pic i could find for now, but I am sure you can just google this carrara bella by A.K.D.O and see all the sizes!

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:28AM
beeps

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:06PM
aries61

kamkar2006 - I rotated your picture. It's hard to see how nice the tile is when looking sideways.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:47PM
NatalieChantal

Thanks guys. I've been checking out your links, the Home Depot one is the closest but just like the source I found online, the stone is too grey (actually I think it's the same product by different vendors). The AKDO tile is beautiful and has lovely white marbles, but the mini bricks are TOO tiny and squarish. The glass mix is a no-go as I definitely want all marble.

Argh this seems ridiculous to have such a hard time finding the right size and stone combo! I know there are several 1/2" x 2" backsplash tiles, and white marble is pretty ubiquitous, why is it so hard to find them together?

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:58PM
chiefy

This one is probably too grey, but it's another option.
http://www.amazon.com/Carrara-Marble-Polished-Pattern-Mosaic/dp/B002LED6C2

Here is a link that might be useful: Another marble brick

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 6:57PM
chiefy

It also seems like there are a lot of options for a "smidge" larger tile, but set in a herringbone pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5/8 x 1 1/4 Herringbone

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 7:05PM
MDBmom

HI,
Have you gone to a tile store and asked? I wanted the 3 X 6 subways in the cararra honed also. They were able to order me a sample as they did not have any in the store in the honed. I seem to remember that they had a TON of various sized. The info on the place I used in PA is below. You could call them and ask for Lisa---she was amazingly helpful. If not if you have a local store I am sure they could get them for you. Good luck!
Lisa Algard
1045 Industrial Highway
Southampton , PA 18966
Bus (215) 364 � TILE (8453)
Fax: (215) 364 - 8087

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 7:52PM
NatalieChantal

Thanks so much for all the feedback. The Amazon tiles are the same as Home Depot and the online source I found... Perfect except they are too grey. Herringbone is a lovely pattern, but too busy for my space otherwise I would consider it. Going to a tile store is definitely worth another try - I did ask the store I am buying my floor tiles from, but they gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. Maybe another sales assistant could help me track them down, or DH and I can try a few different places.

I will keep trying and thank you for all the suggestions! If anyone else comes across what I am looking for, please let me know!

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:02PM
bahacca

Just curious-did you actually go and see the HD ones in person? If not, I strongly suggest you get a sample or go in store and see them. Since it is a natural stone, you may find lots that are NOT as grey as in the picture.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 12:56AM
NatalieChantal

Sorry - didn't get to log on since the last post - but I wanted to say thank you for all the suggestions. Bahacca, I ended up ordering a sheet and a sample online of the tile that looked too gray; you're right, it might be less gray in person so it is worth the $20 investment! Hopefully it will be just right once I get it.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 6:42PM
NatalieChantal

Ok - last update - I received the sheet and sample that I ordered. It is PERFECT!!! You were right bahacca, it looks much better in person! This is the same tile some recommended above, sourced alternatively from Home Depot, Amazon, Glass Tile Design, and Carrara Tiles. Thank you so much for your recommendations and advice! I am really thrilled to have found my backsplash and can't wait to see it on the wall!

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Help with kitchen layout - main issue is where to put the ovens
I need to finalize my kitchen design so all feedback/suggestions...
keagle
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Blue Small Border Runner 2'6" x 10'
$899.00 | Horchow
Five Seasons Montecito Cream/ Sky Blue Rug (5'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Cinnamon & Gray Reversible Comforter
$29.99 | zulily
Darlee Santa Monica Counter Height Armless Swivel Bar Stool - DL2052-17CH/31-101
$289.99 | Hayneedle
Possini Frosted Glass Bands 26 1/2" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Ella Ceiling/Wall Sconce by Eglo
$30.00 | Lumens
Corsica Area Rug
Grandin Road
Tannery Bronze Outdoor Wall 1-Light
$64.00 | PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™