After cabinet/backsplash demolition....

boone_2009June 28, 2013

.... is the bare wall surface patched, primed and painted before installing new cabinets and new backsplash, or is it only patched and primed?

Sorry for the stupid question...:-(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
modern life interiors

it's best to patch prime and paint the whole kitchen before installing cabinets.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 10:39AM
boone_2009

Gitananoel: Thank you.

Since our kitchen will keep its existing footprint and existing tile floor and we are not making any structural changes, I didn't know if the area behind the cabinets needed to be painted before the new ones went in, in the same places.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! :-)

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:21PM
gpraceman55

Ideally, you do want to prime and paint before cabinets are in. We were not able to, due to a problem getting a drywaller in to texture the ceiling and wall patches. It was certainly a pain to cover over and paint around the cabinets. There is no need to paint areas that will be covered over by cabinets.

If any holes are put in the walls behind where the cabinets will go, you do want to patch them. The patches don't need to look pretty, just seal up the wall.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:26AM
boone_2009

Thank you for your feedback, gpraceman.
That's what I thought was usually done ... patch any holes behind cabinets, no need to paint. But we can have those areas painted; as you point out, that would be ideal.

Since I plan to paint the walls of the dining nook in the kitchen later ( after everything has been installed and kitchen is 'done') and since I will be choosing a color only then ( from the Dunn-Edwards palette), will a basic white paint do for now ( for behind the cabinets and for the backsplash before tiles are installed) and if so, will a flat finish suffice?

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 2:48AM
gpraceman55

If you are going to put in a tile backsplash, it would be better not to paint that area. For our reno, I removed the drywall where the backsplash was to go and put in tile backer board for better tile adhesion. I needed access to that area anyways to do some electrical work. You can tile right over the drywall, if you wish, but it would be good if the surface was rough instead of smooth.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 12:09PM
boone_2009

Hey, thanks, gpraceman! For a kitchen ignoramus like me, that's very helpful information!
I'm still looking for the "right" tile and for a tile installer. Should I ask the installer to put in tile backer board or is this something he/she would know anyway?

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Countertops for butlers pantry
We have a wall in pantry that will need countertops...
aktillery9
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Fabricator questions
We were just told that the fabricator our contractor...
tea4all
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Katana Wall Sconce
$329.60 | YLighting
Soft Strip 2.3W Premium 24V Warm White
Lightology
WAC Satin Nickel LED 24" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Le Corbusier LC2 Style Sofa-Dark Grey - Cashmere Wool
IFN Modern
32 x 32 Stone shower Pan in Gray Granite for Bathroom - CORAL
Living'ROC