Kitchen drywall replacement

fitch1126June 23, 2013

I have removed the backsplash and the drywall behind it. I just had new granite counter installed. Very excited to have a mostly new kitchen! I need to replace the drywall I removed but the existing drywall has a jagged edge right where the counters meet the wall. Is there a good way to meet up new drywall with the existing that does not have a straight edge? I thought I would just try to get it as close as possible with it and have a huge mud joint there, which isn't ideal but it will have a new subway tile backsplash on top of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmtdoug

Generally speaking, you cut the existing drywall back to the next stud so the edge splits the stud before applying new drywall of the size you are talking about.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 12:59AM
localeater

Use your utility knife to cut the remaining drywall to a straight line. That leaves you with a straight sided area to measure.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 6:31AM
lazy_gardens

You should have trimmed back and replaced the drywall BEFORE the granite went in. That would have given you a chance to make sure the wall was flat to match the granite with no gaps.

About the best you can do now is slice it straight along the edge of the counters.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 9:07AM
suzanne_sl

But you're right, the tile will cover the less-than-ideal join, so don't sweat the small stuff. If it's still really messy after doing your best to trim it straight, use a piece of drywall mesh tape to cover the join. Paper tape is good too, as long as you get your gaps filled and covered. You're going for a functional flat surface to which you can adhere your tile, not a surface you will ever see again.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:00AM
EAM44

lazy is right, this was not your finest idea.

The only reason you're replacing the drywall is to close off the wall completely, not to give yourself a flat surface on which to tile - your backer board will give you that.

You are using backer board, right?

This means you are free to use thinner drywall in your replacement, tape and mud as needed, because you're going to make up the difference in HardieBacker (link below). Or, you could attach it directly to the studs and skip the drywall altogether.

You're tiling this yourself, aren't you. Google extensively first, and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: HardieBacker

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
Countertop help - Soapstone questions - Matte surface?
When I see pictures of soapstone, my heart goes pitter-pat....
lawjedi
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Echelon Cabinets (formerly Armstron Allwood)
What do you all think of their quality and value? I...
Inneedofkitchen
Did anyone purchase a new color KitchenAid stand mixer...
...to go with your new kitchen? We are weeks away from...
mrsartsncrafts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™