Honey Onyx Backsplash anyone? Pics????

jess111June 4, 2008

Trying to get ideas with field tiles, not mosaics. I didn't see the onyx in person yet, but the pics online of the tumbled variety look amazing. Haven't seen it in a BS yet, and I would love to mix with some amber glass......maybe some little insets? hmmmm...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lowspark

I don't have honey onyx but I think it's beautiful and might use it in my bathroom remodel (currently not in the forseeable future but one of these days!)

My inspiration: femmelady's kitchen.
She was doing her remodel about the same time as I was doing mine and I fell in love with her whole kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: femmelady's kitchen in the fkb

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 9:29AM
mtnfever

great minds think alike :) as my onyx backsplash with copper glass frame is going in even as I post (forgive the "ninja" look from the spacers). our house is adobe and I thought the onyx helped keep the Southwestern feeling. I had started looking at Talavera tile but decided it was too busy against the granite.

closeup The field tile is 4x4 cristal giallo tumbled onyx (sorry, can't find the source at the moment). The 1x2 brick is tumbled multi on 12x12 mesh sheets from Artistic Stone Maniscalco. The glass is honey baby bar (not doing well\-\-don't remember that source either!).

I love femmelady's backsplash too! femmelady (per her previous posts) uses bees wax to protect every so often. I pre-sealed with Miracle Enhance and Seal as I preferred the wet look and know that I'm terrible on maintenance. The unenhanced stone is much lighter.

good luck!

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 11:38AM
gizmonike

We have smaller onyx tiles in our backsplash. We have stone on the wall above the cabinets & in a column at the end of the run, so we wanted a complimentary look.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 12:39PM
jess111

Oh my goodness, what gorgeous backsplashes! No wonder I'm in love with the look of this material, even though I haven't seen it in person. I love how the polished version brings out the veining in femme's kitchen, but giz & mtnfever, I also love the subtle tumbled look like you both have.

So many choices!

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 10:28PM
maroqw

Jeffrey Court (Chapter 9 Pietrus Opus) has a beautiful honey onyx in a mosaic with black. i didnt notice the field tile on the website but they have it and trim pieces too.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 3:03PM
robin_d

If I recall correctly, Femmelady's backsplash is tumbled onyx that she periodically uses beeswax on to bring out the color. Isn't it stunning?

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 6:07PM
femmelady

Hi everyone. My backsplash is tumbled honey onyx. mtnfever, I tried to seal my stone and every time it got wet, it would "white out" again. The beeswax was the only thing I found to keep the color true even when splashed or wiped with water.

There are many more pictures on my web site. under the hearth link.

We remodeled 4 years ago and I still adore the onyx. I would highly recommend it. It's just so beautiful. We also paired with copper insets from Walker Zanger.

And May, I still remember your beautiful grape/wine inspired kitchen with lavender hues. That was a fun time doing the remodel. There is almost nothing we would change.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 9:30PM
femmelady

jess, I meant to add, I think amber glass would be gorgeous set in the onyx. I love amber.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 9:35PM
jess111

omg femmelady, your kitchen is beautiful!

That backsplash is absolutely breathtaking! The closeup pics look like the finish maintained the integrity of the tumbled stone, and it's not actually glossy. But the wax seemed to bring out the gorgeous veining and colors in the onyx.

Does the beeswax help protect the onyx from staining too?

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 11:14AM
flaamy

Gizmonike - I love your tile and can't find that design pattern. Can you help with supplier information??

Thanks

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Reviews for 'Steel' Ascot freestanding ovens
Hi, does anyone have the above Italian made range in...
suenuts
Ikea Maximera drawers depth?
Has anyone taken the time to measure the depth of the...
richbeau
Sponsored Products
Tamburo 7 Wall Sconce
Lightology
Couristan Impressions 8090/0125 Area Rug - Honey - 80900125040060T
$799.00 | Hayneedle
Honey Oak Personalized Toy Storage Chest
$139.99 | zulily
Lucerne Collection 16" High Outdoor Wall Mount
Lamps Plus
Chelsea Wall Sconce
Lightology
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Hawkins 44 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan YG204
$69.97 | Home Depot
Progress Lighting Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Arts and Crafts Collection
Home Depot
European Quilted Piazza Sham - HONEY (EUROPEAN)
$185.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™