Tell me why I shouldn't buy Gilmore cup pulls from RH

Mom23EsJune 27, 2012

I don't want to spend this much money on cabinet hardware, but I really like the look of them. We're hoping the local RH store actually has a couple in stock to see them in person this weekend. Besides RH's crappy return policy, outrageous shipping costs, and other customer service issues, is there anything wrong with these pulls? Are they super overpriced? Poor quality? Not as nice as they look online?

Oh man. I'm so tired of my expensive taste. I know there are plenty of even more expensive options, but I've also found significantly cheaper options that would work for our style too... just not quite as pretty.

Oh, and I'm blaming breezy for tonight's kitchen decision obsession. I had totally ruled them out until I read her post about the sale. ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissastar

sorry, no can do. I really like the Gilmore cup pulls in ORB that I have on my cabinets!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:15PM
dab07

Well, they're on final sale, which means the current RH sale doesn't apply to them. I, too, suffer from expensive taste. I started doing all our remodeling work myself so I could afford what I wanted. I can't make pulls though :(

Good luck. I'm on the fence about them too.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:24PM
babushka_cat

sorry, no can do here either. i love my gilmore pulls. think of it this way - the hardware is like the jewelry. it shows and can really make a difference. and i think someone just posted their friends and family sale is going on now, or soon?

the screws that come with them are crap. you need your GC to swap them out with good steel ones that will go through maple or whatever species you are using. or you could pay your GC a change order to have to extract two before they figured that out.... ie: learn from my lesson, which i later learned is a well known issue posted on web!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:25PM
dab07

Melissa, did you use the original screws? I'm wondering if it's hard to find a good replacement screw to match the ORB.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:26PM
CEFreeman

Sorry.
If they speak to you, talk back.

Just suck it up and go for it.

Maybe decide if you can use blue tape for a while on some drawers. LOL
Doesn't blue tape go with everything?

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:29PM
amritakaur

They're SO beautiful but, ummm... there could be a spider or a roach or even a scorpion in the pull, and you wouldn't know it 'till you put your fingers up there?

Did that help?

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 12:37AM
babushka_cat

LOL

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 12:41AM
nancyaustin

Love the pulls but the screws are terrible. Even if the holes are predrilled, the RH screws are so weak that they tend to break off in the wood, necessitating some expensive repairs to drill out the broken screws. I purchased stainless steel screws for my nickel pulls, but that wouldn't work for ORB.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 1:16AM
francoise47

The only reason not to buy them (yes, they are lovely and classic) is if you can find something similar for less money. You might try Horton Brasses. I have their bin pulls and like them a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horton Brasses bin pulls

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:58AM
Mom23Es

Thanks everyone! I love my GW TKO enablers. LOL! Thanks for the tips about the screws too. I'll have to figure out what works for chrome finish.

francoise- Those would be great if they came in polished chrome!!!

I emailed my builder today just to check that these pulls would work and if he needed anything specific. When I mentioned the pulls might be a bit pricey and from RH, he wrote "Restoration Hardware? Oh god!!! :)". LOL. He's used to me at this point. Everything about my kitchen is special. :)

Oh well. I cook GF/DF for a family of 5 (well just 4 now, baby isn't on solids yet) every day. For better or for worse, I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen. I want it to be beautiful.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:01PM
Mom23Es

So I ended up walking away from them and the sale. :( I love the look, but after reading a couple older threads and talking to my builder, I don't think the front screws are a good idea for my cabinets. My cabinets are shaker style, and the drawers will all be 5 piece fronts. I'm worried that the stress of pulling open the drawers will eventually cause issues with the front mount.

So my search for polished chrome cup pulls continues. Just thought I would update.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 10:29PM
Mom23Es

I will update this again. After my inexpensive builder recommended cup pulls failed to arrive (perpetually back ordered), I became desperate to get hardware ASAP. There is a RH store nearby, and luckily they were having their F&F sale again. So, I cleared out their stock (all 8 pulls lol) and ordered the rest from the store. They arrived at my house in two days.

Oh.my.goodness. They are gorgeous on my cabinets! Absolutely gorgeous! They haven't all been installed yet, but the ones that are there are amazing. Soon i will have pics to share. I love when things just work themselves out. I will be smiling about these pulls and knobs for a long time. I have no idea what is wrong with me- how can cabinet hardware make me this giddy?!? Lol.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 7:37PM
melissastar

I love mine too. No idea if they are put on with the original screws...I kinda doubt it,but couldn't say for sure.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:14PM
breezygirl

My hardware made me giddy, too! It's like that sweet finishing touch. Because hardware can be so different, the one you choose is an expression of oneself.

I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:45PM
francoise47

Glad you got your pulls and are pleased with them!
As they say, they are the jewelry of the kitchen....

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:01PM
2LittleFishies

Yay!!! I got mine too! ... But still in the box

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
kathy6421
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Sliding (glass) wall between kitchen and outside (porch)?
This is a kitchen remodel and new construction of a...
cotehele
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Sponsored Products
Keep-Kool 16.9-ounce Double-wall Stainless Steel Mugs (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Oxford Plate and Deco Pull Set
Signature Hardware
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Designers Choice Collection Quattro 52 in. Architectural Br
Home Depot
Set of 12 Dublin Double Old Fashioned Glasses
Grandin Road
Unfinished Bisque Small Bowl Downlight Wall Sconce
$70.20 | Bellacor
Abba Coastal Images Drum Twin Pull Chain Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Equine Outdoor Lamp
$296.00 | FRONTGATE
Red Rose Stained Glass Tiffany Floor Lamp Home Lighting
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for: