Backsplash with granite

MelissakJune 20, 2014

I have just put in a granite countertop and wood floors. I'm having trouble picking a backsplash. I do like the mosaics that have little color variation (the one on the bottom of the board) but am a little worried it will still be too busy with the granite. Also considering painting the cabinets white. Opinions please??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Melissak

Or possibly just a cream subway tile like this?

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:15PM
Melissak

Here is a pic of the whole kitchen. This pic is at night, the kitchen has lots of natural light during the day.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:16PM
michellemarie

I think the cream subway would look pretty.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 11:14PM
onedogedie

Agree with michellemarie. Definitely think the modern multi-mosaic would look out of step with the granite and the wood cabinets. Personally, I don't think they ever go together but "taste" is individual like peanut butter, mayonnaise & lettuce sandwiches. The question is, looking at the following pictures, do you see hits or misses? (small photos, click through to see larger)

Traditional Kitchen by Lewis Center Tile, Stone & Countertops My Tile Backsplash

Traditional Kitchen by Stafford Kitchen & Bath Fixtures DESIGNER KITCHEN & BATH

I think you should use a uniform, off-white subway tile that fades into its role masterfully, like Gene Hackman.

Craftsman Kitchen by Healdsburg Kitchen & Bath Designers Chelsea Evans of Hudson Street Design

Transitional Kitchen by Byron Center Home Stagers At Home Design and Staging

Congratulations on the new floor and granite. Your kitchen looks great!

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:05AM
Melissak

Thanks for your responses. So Onedogedie, do you think the cream glass subway tile is too much? My husband doesn't like the ceramic subway tile because he thinks it looks like it belongs in a bathroom. But he does like the glass subway.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 11:56AM
feisty68

I agree with this:

Posted by onedogedie "Definitely think the modern multi-mosaic would look out of step with the granite and the wood cabinets. Personally, I don't think they ever go together [...]"

It's important to note that with the pattern of natural wood, the detail of your cabinetry, and the pattern of the granite, you have a lot of depth and complexity to your surfaces. You also have lots of homey decorations which add another layer. If your kitchen was mine, I'd be aiming for a matte look that "fades back" a bit with the backsplash. Glass is quite a shiny and eye-catching element and I'm not sure that your kitchen needs more visual elements.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 2:20PM
Melissak

Thanks for the advice. I'll find some matte subway tile and see how that compares. Any opinions on leaving the cabinets as is or painting them white??

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 3:03PM
may_flowers

Good advice about the tile.

How professional of a paint job are you talking about?

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 6:14PM
onedogedie

I wouldn't paint the cabinets. They look too nice to paint and I can't help but feel that painting cabinets that weren't meant to be painted will have the same end result as painting tiles or refinishing vintage bathtubs & sinks.

What is the cabinet hardware finish? I can't tell from the photograph.

My feeling about the glass tile is that your kitchen leans traditional with the style of your cabinet, and the granite too. Glass tile is modern, and I think it will look wrong with those elements. (All my opinion!) I don't think you need a matte tile. Glossy tile is good. Just not glass.

Your granite is very pretty. Your kitchen is the perfect backdrop for a great textile, to bring some color and pattern in. Tablecloth? Hand towels? Window treatment.

Traditional Kitchen by Bethesda Kitchen & Bath Remodelers Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

Traditional Kitchen by Cologne Interior Designers & Decorators Amber Ranzau

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™