My butcher block prep island

will2kzJune 3, 2013

So my space was small but I wanted a lot. I wanted a sink in this spot, not a huge sink, but one that could handle a disposer, or light dishwashing. I have a Kohler Stages 45 across from it, which is one single basin. Ideal for everything except filling with cold water to defrost a chicken.
Then I found the Franke Beaches sink and got this idea. I found a way to maximize my working area and still have the bigger sink when I want it.
Yes, my cabinet guy made the counter top to my specs, and hats off for being able to use the sink cut out for an actual cutting board.

So it functions like this. The hole opposite the sink is not only a handle to lift out the board, but the "scrap chute" to the sink below which has a disposer. The little sink has a "screw in bowl" that houses either a solid bowl or a strainer. I can just leave this strainer in at all times as it makes a great dumping spot for pasta, or cleaning spot for strawberries, etc etc.
I put the sink to the left because I wanted two drawers in the uppers and got them. My whole Henkels collection is in one, and three sets of measuring cups are in the other.
Yes I oil the h*&% out of this to keep it from warping as water and wood are really tricky.

I'll post more pics of the drawers later so you can see how its setup. I'll also include this in the final Kitchen Stadium reveal that I'm not giving out until its ready, so be patient.

This post was edited by will2kz on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 8:45

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltgirl

Cool! What is the size of the island and what are the internal dimensions of the sink? Can you post a picture without the cutting board covering the sink?

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 10:18PM
will2kz

That is a Kohler Karbon faucet. A keen, and experienced eye, will notice that the handle and faucet are fairly far apart compared to other pics as Kohler normally only supplies an 8 inch hose between the two. I called Kohler to learn they make a longer hose, and they sent it to me for free! I did have to partially dismantle a VERY expensive faucet to get this hose on though. I had originally mounted it where the disposer switch is, but didn't like the reach to the back of the sink. All better now, and symmetrical.

For the design gals/guys: It is ~34x34 inch hard maple ~1.5 inches thick. I used this in my pantry and on my rolling china cabinet which is in another post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blind corner rolling pantry

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 10:19PM
j_hack

That looks great! Very nice way to get exactly what you wanted and great work on behalf of your cabinet maker!

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 10:51PM
will2kz

Thanks.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 8:46AM
amharris

That is so clever!

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:27AM
amyinaustin

Ingenious.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 11:22AM
will2kz

measuring cups

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:35PM
will2kz

knives

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:36PM
function_first

Very, very cool. Just curious where you stash the cutting board/cover when you're using the sink?

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:49AM
legallin

That is WONDERFUL!!! What a great sink and faucet, and your cutting board cover is ingenious. You're making me very jealous of the fact that I don't have plumbing in my island!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 6:18AM
raenjapan

Very cool.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:19AM
will2kz

I leave the cutting board cover in most of the time, if I want it out it cradles around the faucet without sticking out or it goes on the counter behind the sink next to the cooktop.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:08PM
GWlolo

This is really cool and close to my heart as I have a a Kohler Karbon with a Franke beaches sink as well :). Very clever use of space.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Anyone bought a sink from www.seamlesssinks.com?
http://www.seamlesssink.com/ledge-galley-sinks.html much...
Dietitian
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™